Question Games crashing to desktop - Live Kernel 141 Error & Blue screen

Jul 7, 2020
Hi All,

I built a new PC on Saturday last week (Brand new 4 day old PC) and everything is running fine except when playing games. I can play fine for an hour or so, but after that (In both Planet Zoo and Mount & Blade: Bannerlord so far) I'm getting crashes to desktop.

PC Specs:
CPU
: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (Stock cooler)
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 (Bought July 2016)
RAM: Corasir Vengeance 16GB DDR4 3600 (XMP Enabled)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aurous Elite
Case Fans: 2x 14mm Noctua (front intake) 2x base Fractal Design Meshify C (rear/top Exhaust)
PSU: EVGA 650W Gold rated

Errors I'm seeing
I've checked Windows Problem Reports and can see that on some of the crashes (not all) I'm getting a Live Kernel 141 error. I have had this error twice in the last two days, both while playing Planet Zoo.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffa508009d2460
Parameter 2: fffff80369767650
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_19041
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

I've also checked into the Windows Event Viewer at the time of the crash, and at the same time I can see a system event log of:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

And the error report I get when Mount & Blade Bannerlord crashes is below. This doesn't trigger a Live Kernel problem report.

PorV9Ue.png

Monitoring
I'm constantly monitoring using AMD Ryzen Master and MSI Afterburner to see if there are any weird spikes, and can't see anything out of the ordinary when the crashes occur. Here's a screenshot of my MSI Afterburner log file when the latest Live Kernel 141 error occurred (About 2/3 into the image is when the crash happened, I was playing Planet Zoo at the time):

XWtNXe8.png

What I've tried so far
1. Furmark GPU Stress Test, all checks passed no artefacts or performance issues. When running the test, neither CPU nor GPU go over 70C temps. Also performed a Unigine Heaven stress test with no issues.

2. Underclocking my GPU using MSI Afterburner, currently set at (Auto fan speeds):

C6VR8S8.png

What I'm currently testing to see if it's resolved the issue:
  1. Re-installing NVIDIA Drivers using DDU
  2. Editing the Nvidia Control Panel Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance"
  3. Turned OFF "Link State Power Management" in my "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan
I've not performed a fresh windows install as this was only done 4 days ago.

I'm at a loss as of what to do next. Could my GPU just be faulty? It was fine in my old PC that I transferred it over from, although there's the possibility it was damaged in the move over.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020
So, I tried activating the following around 2pm yesterday:
  1. Re-installing NVIDIA Drivers using DDU
  2. Editing the Nvidia Control Panel Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance"
  3. Turned OFF "Link State Power Management" in my "AMD Ryzen Balanced" power plan
I managed to play all afternoon/evening without a crash which was great, however I noticed my GPU clock was running at MAX constantly due to editing the Nvidia Control Panel Power Management Mode to "Prefer Maximum Performance", so I changed this to "Adaptive" instead late last night, managed to continue playing OK until around 00:00.

I also managed to play OK for most of today, but I've just had 2 crashes again in the space of around 2.5 hours (One in Planet Zoo, one in Rise of the Tomb Raider). The second crash, at 18:30 in Rise of the Tomb raider has logged another LiveKernel 141 error and the "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." event.

I'm going to try enabling the Nvidia setting again mentioned above, but is it bad to keep my GPU Clock running at 100% at all times? Is seems to me like it would be.

Does anyone have anything else I could try?

Jul 7, 2020
Okay, so turning the NVidia settings back on didn't make any difference, I experience another crash.

I re-installed the RAM and GPU to make sure there were no connection errors when installing them, and also turned off XMP on my RAM using BIOS so my ram is running at 2133Mhz.

That was about 1.5 hours ago, and my system just blue-screened.

Does anyone have any advice?