Question Games Crashing To Desktop Without Error

MmmPetrol

Commendable
Jan 23, 2020
System Specs:
i7 9700k (tried both stock clock of 3.6GHz and turbo mode of 4.7GHz ish)

RTX 2070 Super (Have also tried my old 1060 6GB and the problem persisted)

Corsair H100i Pro AIO cooler

Asus Rog Strix Z390-F Gaming Motherboard

16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz RAM

M2 1TB drive.

850 Watt Fully-modular PSU (Corsair).

(Also, Windows 10 Home x64 if you're wondering)

Hi all. I've recently built a new PC 2 weeks ago and have been troubleshooting ever since. My games keep crashing to desktop without error and it's made most games pretty much unplayable. Things I've tried:

--Fresh install of Windows
--Windows Memory Test (No errors)
--ChkDsk (No errors)
--Swapped out GPU with a known working GPU
--Updated my BIOS version straight when I built the PC
--Installed all relevant drivers from my motherboards support page
--Removed all start up applications as usual
--Re-seated RAM, GPU, and PSU cables.
--Uninstalled GPU driver from safe mode using DDU
--Verified all game files, as well as reinstalling them after reinstalling windows
--Checked that temps are okay for my hardware

I have crashes on games such as Rust, Rainbow Six Siege (Extremely frequently and to an unplayable standard), Ghost Recon Wildlands (Also Ubisoft, same frequency of crashes as Rainbow Six Siege), and Squad. From what information I've gathered, these run on different engines so I'm not sure if it's an engine issue.
I've just disable Windows Defender as I think it caused my UnityPlayer.dll to crash (Event Viewer).

Here is the error information which led to a crash to desktop without error message, shown from the event viewer:

Faulting application name: RustClient.exe, version: 2019.2.0.49510, time stamp: 0x5d317c91
Faulting module name: UnityPlayer.dll, version: 2019.2.0.49510, time stamp: 0x5d317e02
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000047100a
Faulting process ID: 0x2b80
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5d62a99b7bf44
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rust\RustClient.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Rust\UnityPlayer.dll
Report ID: 4e965cc5-e0c3-4473-adcb-dd44275049cf
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Edit: Crashing to desktop without error in Rainbow Six Siege does not create an error or warning in the Event Viewer. The game crashes to desktop then UPLAY synchronizes to the cloud as if I exited the game normally.

I really don't know what to do. Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited:

MmmPetrol

Commendable
Jan 23, 2020
When you ran that chkdsk scan, did you do it at boot time?
I'm not sure what you mean sorry. I opened the command prompt and and used a chkdsk command. I can't remember if it was /f or /r, or both. When I restarted my PC, chkdsk was running just as it rebooted (if that's what you mean by boot time), before I was prompted to log in. It found no errors after about half an hour which by that time it had completed. I know that's very short for a chkdsk on average, but it's a new m2 ssd and only 1TB, so I'm assuming it was fast because of that and the fact that it only had about 350-400 GB in use? If this doesn't add up and you think I should run another check, please let me know. I thought I had done it right until reviewing it now in my head.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean sorry. I opened the command prompt and and used a chkdsk command. I can't remember if it was /f or /r, or both. When I restarted my PC, chkdsk was running just as it rebooted (if that's what you mean by boot time), before I was prompted to log in. It found no errors after about half an hour which by that time it had completed. I know that's very short for a chkdsk on average, but it's a new m2 ssd and only 1TB, so I'm assuming it was fast because of that and the fact that it only had about 350-400 GB in use? If this doesn't add up and you think I should run another check, please let me know. I thought I had done it right until reviewing it now in my head.

Well, if it found no errors, then possible corrupt or missing files for the games can be crossed off the list as the culprit. It kind of makes since for the chkdsk scan to come clean considering you experiencing this problem in different games. That exception code could be related to corrupt files for the operating system itself. Running 'sfc /scannow' in the command prompt would fix this particular issue. This could also occur due to a virus, so I would do a malware scan to make sure nothings screwing your PC.

Last edited:

MmmPetrol

Commendable
Jan 23, 2020
Well, if it found no errors, then possible corrupt or missing files for the games can be crossed off the list as the culprit. It kind of makes since for the chkdsk scan to come clean considering you experiencing this problem in different games. That exception code could be related to corrupt files for the operating system itself. Running 'sfc /scannow' in the command prompt would fix this particular issue. This could also occur due to a virus, so I would do a malware scan to make sure nothings screwing your PC.
I am a frequent scanner for malware so it can't be that (I use MalwareBytes). It's also a fresh install of windows with downloads only coming from trusted places like steam and official websites for legitimate programs like discord, chrome, etc.
The command returned "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Sadly, I don't think this is the issue.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I am a frequent scanner for malware so it can't be that (I use MalwareBytes). It's also a fresh install of windows with downloads only coming from trusted places like steam and official websites for legitimate programs like discord, chrome, etc.
The command returned "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Sadly, I don't think this is the issue.

:unsure: I've been researching the exception code you posted, and some websites say that it is an 'access violation', having to do with the unity engine, in the event log that you posted for example. It might be the anti-virus software itself causing the confusion. You should try to make an 'exception' for all of your games in malwarebytes which basically tells it to keep its hands off the program. This worked for some other people who had the same event log. I would also check windows defender and see what its doing with your games, but that's not likely the problem. I didn't think malwarebytes could be the problem because its not really known to cause any issues, but I can't think of anything else right now.

MmmPetrol

Commendable
Jan 23, 2020
:unsure: I've been researching the exception code you posted, and some websites say that it is an 'access violation', having to do with the unity engine, in the event log that you posted for example. It might be the anti-virus software itself causing the confusion. You should try to make an 'exception' for all of your games in malwarebytes which basically tells it to keep its hands off the program. This worked for some other people who had the same event log. I would also check windows defender and see what its doing with your games, but that's not likely the problem. I didn't think malwarebytes could be the problem because its not really known to cause any issues, but I can't think of anything else right now.
Right, I'll try this then. Thanks very much for your replies. :) Though I always close malwarebytes in task manager or from the tray when I'm not scanning.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Right, I'll try this then. Thanks very much for your replies. :) Though I always close malwarebytes in task manager or from the tray when I'm not scanning.

🙂No problem, hope this works because I don't know what else could be the problem. After researching it all, it makes sense for the problem possibly being the anti-virus programs. The 'UnityPlayer.dll' file in your event log is executable code on standby for an application to request should it need it, and the anti-virus program is possibly blocking the code from actually being used causing the application, or in this case your games to go haywire and crash to the desktop.

MmmPetrol

Commendable
Jan 23, 2020
🙂No problem, hope this works because I don't know what else could be the problem. After researching it all, it makes sense for the problem possibly being the anti-virus programs. The 'UnityPlayer.dll' file in your event log is executable code on standby for an application to request should it need it, and the anti-virus program is possibly blocking the code from actually being used causing the application, or in this case your games to go haywire and crash to the desktop.
Problem still persists. I'm guessing this is a motherboard or psu issue now... Going to test my 1 year old 650 watt psu with my new pc. I was really hoping it was a software issue but it can't really be anything else at this point can it. If it isn't the psu, I guess I will have to get a replacement motherboard. Would I know about it if the my cpu was playing up? My issues are only in games from what I can tell so far, so I'm hoping not.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Problem still persists. I'm guessing this is a motherboard or psu issue now... Going to test my 1 year old 650 watt psu with my new pc. I was really hoping it was a software issue but it can't really be anything else at this point can it. If it isn't the psu, I guess I will have to get a replacement motherboard. Would I know about it if the my cpu was playing up? My issues are only in games from what I can tell so far, so I'm hoping not.

:confused2: Well this is what I find rather strange about computers. A lot of the issues people complain about on sites like this only occur when performing specific tasks, usually video games. We might be missing something, but after everything you tried, its almost something that only someone with a more advanced understanding of how computers work can solve. To really solve the types of event logs your PC reports, it seems like you would basically have to understand code, or some programming. This could be code related to a hardware issue however. Its not the GPU since you already replaced it.

Its not the ram since your memory test came back clean. The only other culprits could be your storage device, or your CPU. Its stated on sites like this that the power supplies these companies sell sometimes end up being duds, so maybe its the same case with other components as well, like the motherboard itself. I would start with the motherboard first, maybe the bios itself is straight up garbage. From a laymen perspective on computers, it would have to be. If you want a recommendation for one you could buy, I can only recommend what I use. I don't know what your budget is at the moment, but I would start with the one I have linked below. And PC elitists wonder why I say that the mainstream audience will always be the console market.

Link: X570 AORUS MASTER

MmmPetrol

Commendable
Jan 23, 2020
:confused2: Well this is what I find rather strange about computers. A lot of the issues people complain about on sites like this only occur when performing specific tasks, usually video games. We might be missing something, but after everything you tried, its almost something that only someone with a more advanced understanding of how computers work can solve. To really solve the types of event logs your PC reports, it seems like you would basically have to understand code, or some programming. This could be code related to a hardware issue however. Its not the GPU since you already replaced it.

Its not the ram since your memory test came back clean. The only other culprits could be your storage device, or your CPU. Its stated on sites like this that the power supplies these companies sell sometimes end up being duds, so maybe its the same case with other components as well, like the motherboard itself. I would start with the motherboard first, maybe the bios itself is straight up garbage. From a laymen perspective on computers, it would have to be. If you want a recommendation for one you could buy, I can only recommend what I use. I don't know what your budget is at the moment, but I would start with the one I have linked below. And PC elitists wonder why I say that the mainstream audience will always be the console market.

Link: X570 AORUS MASTER
That event log was just for one of my games (Rust). The game I'm having issues with the most (Rainbow Six Siege) literally gives no event errors. The past few times I've crashed, I've headed straight to the event viewer and have found no log for that time. Also, I'm on intel so I guess I could get the lga1151 chipset version of that motherboard, but should I not try getting a replacement board of the same model? I built the system two weeks ago so I would be able to get a replacement without extra charge, though if it is a fault with the board model itself (which I would hope not considering it's a good brand and certainly isn't just any old cheap z390 board), then I can try changing board. I will try changing the PSU tomorrow, then it's time to figure out what to RMA...

Last edited:

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
That event log was just for one of my games (Rust). The game I'm having issues with the most (Rainbow Six Siege) literally gives no event errors. The past few times I've crashed, I've headed straight to the event viewer and have found no log for that time. Also, I'm on intel so I guess I could get the lga1151 chipset version of that motherboard, but should I not try getting a replacement board of the same model? I built the system two weeks ago so I would be able to get a replacement without extra charge, though if it is a fault with the board model itself (which I would hope not considering it's a good brand and certainly isn't just any old cheap z390 board), then I can try changing board. I will try changing the PSU tomorrow, then it's time to figure out what to RMA...

I'm not too familiar with Intel motherboards. They haven't really done much lately to compete with AMD in that respect, although that may change this year. I guess you could try replacing the board with the same model, but again, the problem wouldn't be so much the motherboard but the bios that comes with it. When talking hardware issues, the bios should more often be the number one suspect since it gives the operating system instructions on how it is to control the flow of data, or code, between all components connected to the motherboard in the first place. The age or price of the motherboard won't matter if the bios itself was not well designed. I know next to zero about how these systems are designed, but this might be the issue. Its almost akin to a power supply being cheaply designed. You don't replace it with the same model, you get a different one entirely. The bios might be a dud.

MmmPetrol

Commendable
Jan 23, 2020
I'm not too familiar with Intel motherboards. They haven't really done much lately to compete with AMD in that respect, although that may change this year. I guess you could try replacing the board with the same model, but again, the problem wouldn't be so much the motherboard but the bios that comes with it. When talking hardware issues, the bios should more often be the number one suspect since it gives the operating system instructions on how it is to control the flow of data, or code, between all components connected to the motherboard in the first place. The age or price of the motherboard won't matter if the bios itself was not well designed. I know next to zero about how these systems are designed, but this might be the issue. Its almost akin to a power supply being cheaply designed. You don't replace it with the same model, you get a different one entirely. The bios might be a dud.
Right, I understand now. I'll take this into serious account then. I might give the bios another look tomorrow and try resetting it to defaults.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Right, I understand now. I'll take this into serious account then. I might give the bios another look tomorrow and try resetting it to defaults.

Yeah I was having the same issue with Hitman 2 crashing to the desktop with the exact same event log. Updating my bios to the latest version seems to have fixed it so far. I would say its your bios that is the #1 culprit. Either the design of the bios for your motherboard is inherently flawed or its not the updated to the most recent version.

MmmPetrol

Commendable
Jan 23, 2020
Yeah I was having the same issue with Hitman 2 crashing to the desktop with the exact same event log. Updating my bios to the latest version seems to have fixed it so far. I would say its your bios that is the #1 culprit. Either the design of the bios for your motherboard is inherently flawed or its not the updated to the most recent version.
First thing I did was update BIOS after building 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm still testing things right now. Just tried disabling Windows fast boot. Seems like it could be promising so far, but only time will tell. That's the annoying nature of the issue I'm having, I have to spend upwards of two hours on one game sometimes... Also, the above log is anomalous. The real reoccurring log is:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager
Date: 31/01/2020 22:06:26
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: DESKTOP-P3GPCOF
Description:
File System Filter 'BEDaisy' (Version 10.0, ‎2019‎-‎11‎-‎15T07:57:13.000000000Z) unloaded successfully.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-FilterManager" Guid="{f3c5e28e-63f6-49c7-a204-e48a1bc4b09d}" />
<EventID>1</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-01-31T22:06:26.186815000Z" />
<EventRecordID>2125</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="9804" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-P3GPCOF</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="FinalStatus">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceVersionMajor">10</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceVersionMinor">0</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceNameLength">7</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceName">BEDaisy</Data>
<Data Name="DeviceTime">2019-11-15T07:57:13.000000000Z</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Only happens on games with anti-cheats.

MmmPetrol

Commendable
Jan 23, 2020
Hmm, don't think he tried that yet.
I have. I've created exclusions, and tried straight up disabling Windows Defender. I also uninstalled Malwarebytes. Problem seems to have nothing to do with anti-virus in my case.

As for overclocking, the GPU is stock, and I've tried my CPU with both turbo on and turbo off. Problem still persists.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I have. I've created exclusions, and tried straight up disabling Windows Defender. I also uninstalled Malwarebytes. Problem seems to have nothing to do with anti-virus in my case.

As for overclocking, the GPU is stock, and I've tried my CPU with both turbo on and turbo off. Problem still persists.

Yeah, at this point I have to conclude that there is something weird going on with the bios. Right now I can't think of anything else. If it were me, I'd be ready to get my money back and replacing the whole motherboard with another model entirely.