Question Games crashing when a second monitor is connected.

Apr 30, 2021
Hi,

Recently, maybe a month ago, my games started to crash when i have 2 monitors connected at the same time.

I ordered a new monitor this winter (3D 144hz asus gaming monitor) and it was plugged with my old monitor (Acer 60hz normal monitor). I was aware that i could not get 144hz on my main monitor while being 60hz on the second one. But it was fine for now since i did not have the money to buy another 144hz for now. All games were running smoothly : WoW, Tarkov, PoE, etc...

Then i update my GFX (Nvidia 1080) card driver, maybe a month or 1.5 month ago. After a couple days my games started to crash every 5 to 15 minutes.

I tought it might be the new driver and decided to uninstall and install again to see if the install was corrupted. The problem still persisted.

My main monitor (144hz) is connected on a DVI port and my 2nd monitor (60hz) was connected with a HDMI port. I decided to try and swap the connection to see if it was a cord problem.

The crash persisted. The only way i could resolve the issue was to turn off and unplug the 2nd monitor.

A week ago i decided to get 2 good HDMI cable and a new 144hz screen to make sure both screens could SINC togheter. the new monitor is a AOC 23.8'' gaming monitor(144hz).

It only has a display port( i dont have display cord yet) and a HDMI port. So i decided to unplug the 60hz monitor and replace it with the new 144hz.

So now i have 2 x 144hz monitor. Main one plugged with DVI and 2nd one plugged with new 4K HDMI cord.

The problem was solved for about 1.5 week. Yesteday i downloaded the new Nvidia drivers and the problem came back. My game crashes every 5 to 15 minutes. The only way to fix this is to unplug the 2nd monitor.

I ordered 2 x display port and my last resort to see if i can make this work. When i am not playing games, both my monitors are working perfectly fine and nothing crashes.

I don't really know what to try anymore. I updated all win 10 drivers. Tried to uninstall and install the gfx card drivers numerous times.

I am in no way an expert at computers, thus why i come here to seek for help.

He are the specs :

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Manufacturer
Intel
Speed
4.2 GHz
Number of Cores

RAM
16 GB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Manufacturer
Nvidia
Chipset
GeForce GTX 1080
Dedicated Memory
8.0 GB
Total Memory
16 GB

Operating System
Windows 10
Service Pack
Size
32-bit

Apr 30, 2021
Hi,

Recently, maybe a month ago, my games started to crash when i have 2 monitors connected at the same time.

I ordered a new monitor this winter (3D 144hz asus gaming monitor) and it was plugged with my old monitor (Acer 60hz normal monitor). I was aware that i could not get 144hz on my main monitor while being 60hz on the second one. But it was fine for now since i did not have the money to buy another 144hz for now. All games were running smoothly : WoW, Tarkov, PoE, etc...

Then i update my GFX (Nvidia 1080) card driver, maybe a month or 1.5 month ago. After a couple days my games started to crash every 5 to 15 minutes.

I tought it might be the new driver and decided to uninstall and install again to see if the install was corrupted. The problem still persisted.

My main monitor (144hz) is connected on a DVI port and my 2nd monitor (60hz) was connected with a HDMI port. I decided to try and swap the connection to see if it was a cord problem.

The crash persisted. The only way i could resolve the issue was to turn off and unplug the 2nd monitor.

A week ago i decided to get 2 good HDMI cable and a new 144hz screen to make sure both screens could SINC togheter. the new monitor is a AOC 23.8'' gaming monitor(144hz).

It only has a display port( i dont have display cord yet) and a HDMI port. So i decided to unplug the 60hz monitor and replace it with the new 144hz.

So now i have 2 x 144hz monitor. Main one plugged with DVI and 2nd one plugged with new 4K HDMI cord.

The problem was solved for about 1.5 week. Yesteday i downloaded the new Nvidia drivers and the problem came back. My game crashes every 5 to 15 minutes. The only way to fix this is to unplug the 2nd monitor.

I ordered 2 x display port and my last resort to see if i can make this work. When i am not playing games, both my monitors are working perfectly fine and nothing crashes.

I don't really know what to try anymore. I updated all win 10 drivers. Tried to uninstall and install the gfx card drivers numerous times.

I am in no way an expert at computers, thus why i come here to seek for help.

He are the specs :

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Manufacturer
Intel
Speed
4.2 GHz
Number of Cores

RAM
16 GB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Manufacturer
Nvidia
Chipset
GeForce GTX 1080
Dedicated Memory
8.0 GB
Total Memory
16 GB

Operating System
Windows 10
Service Pack
Size
32-bit

chaoyang

Reputable
Oct 24, 2019
i have no idea to be honnest... i bought my computer premade and i am a noob at it too. i asked myself the same question when i saw that

That's fine, though I don't know whether that will sort out your monitor problem.

There was news about Nvidia asking users to uninstall the latest windows update, but I have only came across it and haven't read it.

Apr 30, 2021
That would be recommended; the article said about heavy fps drops when playing games.

You could update your windows 10 after Microsoft finish patching up a new one.

yeah, ill try this and the new DP cords when they arrive. If not, a friend of mine told me it might be a gfx card problem. Tho i h ave 0 crashes when i run on a single monitor...

TRENDING THREADS