Question *Games feel choppy and not smooth at all*

May 7, 2019
Recently games have started to feel choppy and not very smooth, particularly fortnite. Before stretched was banned I used 1154x1080 because this resolution felt smooth on the game even with some graphic settings on high and epic, but now that I am forced on 1920x1080 the game feels so bad and horrible and I am clueless as to why this is.

Specs: GTX 1050TI, I5-6400, 180W PSU, 8gb Ram

All help is appreciated, thanks.

I also get 100+ fps but still doesn't feel right at all.

Well, it's mostly to do with the switch to the higher res (more pixels to display) and your system is limiting performance somewhat.

The GTX1050ti is decent at 1080p/60 but nothing stellar, so dialing back settings may help. The vram at 4gbs will be fine for most games but also will cause stuttering issues in demanding games if the vram maxes.. And then add to that your 4c/4t CPU will max out in games (also causing stuttering) as will 8gbs of ram at 1080p.

I presume BTW, that 180w PSU is a typo and you mean something like a 480w or something?

May 7, 2019
Well, it's mostly to do with the switch to the higher res (more pixels to display) and your system is limiting performance somewhat.

The GTX1050ti is decent at 1080p/60 but nothing stellar, so dialing back settings may help. The vram at 4gbs will be fine for most games but also will cause stuttering issues in demanding games if the vram maxes.. And then add to that your 4c/4t CPU will max out in games (also causing stuttering) as will 8gbs of ram at 1080p.

I presume BTW, that 180w PSU is a typo and you mean something like a 480w or something?
No I use a 180* watt psu. Can the power supply be the issue?

I also recently ordered a gtx 1660 OC and a 650w psu, will this help with the issue?

Certainly that's a weak PSU. It most certainly could be causing issues. I doubt its a quality unit.

What exact model GTX1050ti do you have. Doe it have an extra power connector or is it powered only from the slot?

You GPU is 75w max power, your CPU is 65w max power, that's already 140w and leaves you with very little headroom.

Consider getting a decent PSU. If the one you have fails it could kill some other components.

Yes, getting both of those will help. But your CPU will hold back the 1660ti a little bit in demanding games like BF1/V/COD BO4 etc.

What PSU did you order. 650w will be plenty. Hopefully you've chosen a decent unit.

May 7, 2019
Certainly that's a weak PSU. It most certainly could be causing issues. I doubt its a quality unit.

What exact model GTX1050ti do you have. Doe it have an extra power connector or is it powered only from the slot?

You GPU is 75w max power, your CPU is 65w max power, that's already 140w and leaves you with very little headroom.

Consider getting a decent PSU. If the one you have fails it could kill some other components.

Yes, getting both of those will help. But your CPU will hold back the 1660ti a little bit in demanding games like BF1/V/COD BO4 etc.

What PSU did you order. 650w will be plenty. Hopefully you've chosen a decent unit.
650w corsair 80+

May 10, 2019
Recently games have started to feel choppy and not very smooth, particularly fortnite. Before stretched was banned I used 1154x1080 because this resolution felt smooth on the game even with some graphic settings on high and epic, but now that I am forced on 1920x1080 the game feels so bad and horrible and I am clueless as to why this is.

Specs: GTX 1050TI, I5-6400, 180W PSU, 8gb Ram

All help is appreciated, thanks.

I also get 100+ fps but still doesn't feel right at all.
your pc is bottlenecking because of your powersupply i recommend you to get 450w psu
if you need suggestion buy corsair vs450

May 10, 2019
No I use a 180* watt psu. Can the power supply be the issue?

I also recently ordered a gtx 1660 OC and a 650w psu, will this help with the issue?
yes but the game is feeling choppy because of limited power supply which bottlenecks your gpu and cpu ,1050 ti is good buying the power supply would solve your problem

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
buy corsair vs450

Sorry but I rather strongly disagree with this, the VS series are poor quality, and there has actually been a bit of a bout on Toms Forum at the moment with computer problems all relating to this model line of PSU. The VS are notorious for causing issues at the moment as they are budget and worst case, if something goes wrong, they have little to no protective capabilities of your other components.

I really don't mean to be antagonistic, but the one thing you shouldn't go cheap on, is your PSU.

May 7, 2019
Sorry but I rather strongly disagree with this, the VS series are poor quality, and there has actually been a bit of a bout on Toms Forum at the moment with computer problems all relating to this model line of PSU. The VS are notorious for causing issues at the moment as they are budget and worst case, if something goes wrong, they have little to no protective capabilities of your other components.

I really don't mean to be antagonistic, but the one thing you shouldn't go cheap on, is your PSU.
I am on a budget, after all, hence the 1660 instead of the ti edition. I needed something quick and something that would do the job for high end games. I decided to go ahead and order this power supply from amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-VS550-Active-Certified-Supply/dp/B078Y32P1W

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I needed something quick and something that would do the job for high end games.

If that's what you've had to do, then that's what you've had to do, but as long as you aware of the quality of those units. If you're ever prone to surges or outages, then the VS series offer little to no protective capabilities, and have been known to let down rigs that had higher end gaming components in them.

It will do the job, but as long as the risks are known my friend.

May 7, 2019
If that's what you've had to do, then that's what you've had to do, but as long as you aware of the quality of those units. If you're ever prone to surges or outages, then the VS series offer little to no protective capabilities, and have been known to let down rigs that had higher end gaming components in them.

It will do the job, but as long as the risks are known my friend.
Thanks for warning but no power outages or surges are common in my area, so hopefully all goes well