Games for Windows Live 3.0 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I'm actually pretty stoked about this. I've had to restart games soooo many times from having to reformat or installing a game on a new(better) computer. What ever happened to Steam Cloud though? Is that still happening or has it already happened and I just don't know how to use it?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I agree it's a good idea and can't wait for Steam to roll-out a similar service (i.e. saving my games in the cloud for resuming on a different PC or after a re-installation). That said, I probably won't be using the Window-Live service. I didn't even know Microsoft already had such a service. Maybe its cause I don't use Vista? Dunno.

imspecial

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
"You can start a game at work and continue your saved game at home without having to worry about moving that saved game around"

Are they telling hard working people to drop what they are doing and play video games at work?

I'm in

G

[citation][nom]vaderseven[/nom]I like how this article implies we should play a game at work and home.>=][/citation]

I know right? You think MS sent a news letter to their own employees about this saying "Hey everyone! Remember to bring your games to work!!"

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I agree it's a good idea and can't wait for Steam to roll-out a similar service (i.e. saving my games in the cloud for resuming on a different PC or after a re-installation). That said, I probably won't be using the Window-Live service. I didn't even know Microsoft already had such a service. Maybe its cause I don't use Vista? Dunno.[/citation]

i think steam does have something similar for some games like left 4 dead... but if the save games work for all gfwl games, this is def a step in the right direction...go microsoft!

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]griffed88[/nom]I'm actually pretty stoked about this. I've had to restart games soooo many times from having to reformat or installing a game on a new(better) computer. What ever happened to Steam Cloud though? Is that still happening or has it already happened and I just don't know how to use it?[/citation]

Steam does have Steam cloud, this is apparent in Left 4 Dead, but not really anywhere else AFAIK. They have yet to expand on it.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
You mean M$ will have all my save games on their server? This is optional right? I don't want to hop online to load up FO3

fatedtodie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
maigo your comment loses all meaning when you go stupid with the m$.
Turn off the fanboi and handle things like you can atleast pretend to be an adult.

I think its a great Idea, Steam was looking into this for all games for a while, but they are taking forever.

All the protection will kill it(far to many pirated games out there). Too bad, i will give it a go :)

Then again, i just shoved all my save games onto skydrive anyway...

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]fatedtodie[/nom]maigo your comment loses all meaning when you go stupid with the m$.Turn off the fanboi and handle things like you can atleast pretend to be an adult.[/citation]
I always use M$ instead of Microsoft its a lot quicker... this makes me stupid as well?

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
fuck GFWL.

PCs =\= consoles, and don't need stupid additional interfaces, services, or restrictions on them. a better announcement would have been "Windows does away with noobish GFWL service".

G

Can't wait for those sites to experience a DDOS attack, and all gamers go like "what happened? Where's my game?"

I think this way of using the internet is far from good,and the system got too many flaws in it!

G

If it's the same as Phantasy Star Universe, you'll have the game guard going online, checking/verifying your version, and enabling multiplayer access.
For single player story level, you still have to go online for the verification.
So I guess this is about the same...

Oh,and, story level is only 30-60% of the game.
You'll probably need to go online and play via MS server (which charges a monthly fee), in order to get the upgrades you can't get in story mode!

If it's the same as Phantasy Star Universe, you'll have the game guard going online, checking/verifying your version, and enabling multiplayer access.
For single player story level, you still have to go online for the verification.
So I guess this is about the same...
GameGuard has nothing to do with MS and everything to do with Sega's choice. its was on the other Phantasy Star games as well. Many MMOs from countries on that side of the world use GG.

Games i have played with it

9Dragons
Albatross18 - DEAD
BOTS
Cabal Online
Exteel
GunZ: The Duel - Yet this game is so packed with cheaters, was fun before that, lots of fun
Lunia
PSO PC, i think it had it too
Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst
Phantasy Star Universe - so many wasted hours
Shot Online - Golf :0
Trickster - Boarrrrriiiinngggg

As you can see my friend drags me into many games.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]gin Fushicho[/nom]I think this is hjsut away of Microsoft saying. "you HAVE to have the internet to play your games".[/citation]

Somewhat.
Some games, a feature like that would piss me off...
However, if it encourages more online play for most games, I'm somewhat in support.

[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]GameGuard has nothing to do with MS and everything to do with Sega's choice. its was on the other Phantasy Star games as well. Many MMOs from countries on that side of the world use GG.Games i have played with it9DragonsAlbatross18 - DEADBOTSCabal OnlineExteelGunZ: The Duel - Yet this game is so packed with cheaters, was fun before that, lots of funLuniaPSO PC, i think it had it tooPhantasy Star Online Blue BurstPhantasy Star Universe - so many wasted hoursShot Online - Golf :0Trickster - BoarrrrriiiinnggggAs you can see my friend drags me into many games.[/citation]

GameGuard is an aweful anti hack system... last I checked it still doesn;t support Win7.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
@maigo "This is optional right? I don't want to hop online to load up FO3"

As for Fallout 3 if you do not have any expansions yet buy the first two (on one disk) from your local software store $20. Once installed you do not need any disk in the drive or any internet connection to play FO3 again, thanks Bethesda. The internet thing for FO3 is from Microbloats GFWL.
If you have downloaded from the GFWL site and M$ is making you now connect to the internet and use their F*cked up service to play FO3 just do a search of your HD for the hidden files you downloaded and payed for and copy the expansions to your FO3 Data Dir. Presto no need for GFWL to play a offline game.
Again I say GFWL can take that DRM control freak of a so called service and shove it up their collective arses.

Last time i check PB does not support win7 either :) yet its used by many fps games. It even lets people cheat anyway. Anti-hack is only good for a few min before the hackers break it....

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I hate windows live, its a pain to code for and its a pain to use. at very best its just becoming a steam ripoff - tho this isn't a bad thing - I like it how you can just copy your files from pc to pc and don't need to reinstall, the cloud for saves is cool too (and it is implemented on steam too).

I suppose i don't mind having a steam account and a win live account, but i don't wanna have to use BOTH to play a game (which you have to do if you buy a win live game off of steam) need to be able to buy these games thru winlive.

they are just trying to turn the PC into a console, and - ironically - making everything more complicated in the process.

champy86

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
It would be nice if it could allow you to synchronize your save games on-line once in a while but not oblige you to log on to play games.
But I think obliging people to log on-line is actually what they want to do to try to stop piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.