games for young children?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

"Nils Deslé" wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:06:54 +1200, michael <michael@mailinator.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Paul Heslop wrote:

> >> the smallest has started to have a go on gran turismo 4 and forza. she
> >> wobbles about a bit but she has soon learned to watch out for corners.
> >> she hasn't quite mastered the idea of brakes. she knows what they are
> >> but tends to hit them after the car has hit a wall. she's very proud
> >> when she gets round a corner.
> >
> >yeah I sit them on my lap and I operate accelarator and break
> >while they steer. they love crashing the car far more then
> >driving it - which I find frustrating LOL
>
> Ah, so I'm not alone in this then. This is precisely why I asked the
> question in the first place. My son loves to "drive with the cars on
> the TV", but he keeps crashing rather than racing. So I'm looking for
> something he can actually play (with my help of course, I'm not
> looking for an automatic nanny)
>
> Nils

well the simpsons hit and run does have a punishment for crashing etc
system. If you cause too much damage, or do too many wrong things,
your meter turns red and the police come after you, plus your car
explodes :O)
. Then of course there's the other one, simpsons road rage, which is
basically a slightly simpler sega taxi and has a free roam thing where
they don't have to be timed but can pick folks up and drop them off to
get used to the controls. There is also a two player version where you
compete to drop pick up and drop off.

Both these games should be available at reasonable prices nowadays.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

michael wrote:

> yeah I sit them on my lap and I operate accelarator and break
> while they steer. they love crashing the car far more then
> driving it - which I find frustrating LOL

Burnout3 is a lot of fun for a kid because of all the cool crashes.
Unless you object to "DAMN VAN!" being on the screen sometimes when you
hit a traffic vehicle.

Actually the GTA3, Vice City, and San Andreas game worlds are fun for
kids as long as you're there when they play. I let my kid drive and
explore until their car catches on fire or they run over someone, then
it's my turn!

Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> the smallest has started to have a go on gran turismo 4 and forza. she
> wobbles about a bit but she has soon learned to watch out for corners.
> she hasn't quite mastered the idea of brakes. she knows what they are
> but tends to hit them after the car has hit a wall. she's very proud
> when she gets round a corner.

LOL. That makes her better at those games than me then. I never got the
hang of steering with a stick, and usually end up hitting something, or
severely slowing down.

Doug Jacobs wrote:

> Paul Heslop <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > the smallest has started to have a go on gran turismo 4 and forza. she
> > wobbles about a bit but she has soon learned to watch out for corners.
> > she hasn't quite mastered the idea of brakes. she knows what they are
> > but tends to hit them after the car has hit a wall. she's very proud
> > when she gets round a corner.
>
> LOL. That makes her better at those games than me then. I never got the
> hang of steering with a stick, and usually end up hitting something, or
> severely slowing down.

I can't use them as accelerators and brakes, neither can i use xbox
triggers. San Andreas just led me into using them and I hardly don't
use them now. The little one, on the other hand, knows no other way as
she came into gaming very recently. She wobbles around like a drunk on
straights though :O)