[SOLVED] Games freezing/crashing with no error after 5-30mins of gameplay ?

Jun 8, 2021
Hello,
I am having some troubles with crashing in certain games on my PC, I have tried a lot of trouble shooting and am still unable to locate the issue, and help would be greatly appreciated.

PC specs:
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
PSU: EVGA 600W 100-W1-0600-K3
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16gb (2x 8gb)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1070
All of my parts are pretty new (June 2021) except my GPU (2019) and the Ram (2020).

So the issue is that in the last couple of weeks, various games that I never had a problem with for as long as I’ve been playing have just started randomly freezing/crashing randomly. The games I have had the issues in are: Battlefield 4, Battlefield V, Halo Infinite, and Insurgency Sandstorm. At first I thought it was an issue with just BF4 as the game will freeze randomly in between 5-30mins of playtime, which forces me to open task manager and close the application. I then tested the other games, Insurgency will have a very similar type freeze which again force me to end the task through task manager, whereas Battlefield V and Halo Infinite will freeze for a few seconds, and then the application will close on its own to the desktop without any time of error message.

There are a few games which run absolutely fine though, those being World of Warcraft, and the older Assassin’s creed games such as 2 and brotherhood. This is very strange as roughly a month a go all of these games were working perfectly. The only thing I have changed/done differently in that time is use a Bluetooth dongle to connect Bluetooth headphones, and installed the older Assassin’s creed games through Uplay connect.

Something strange that was happening to me that may be of some worth, was that I was unable to open both event manager and device manager (even when running as admin) with the message ‘access denied’ please contact system administrator. This was very strange as I had never had a problem with restrictions before and had event manager open just a few days prior. I then ran a Malwarebytes scan which detected 50 possible threats, once these were removed I was straight away able to access them without issue.
In security and maintenance, in the computers problem history there are critical events listed at the same time the crashes happen. This is listed as ‘Hardware Error’ with the following text: "A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly".

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffffb98ced656010
Parameter 2: fffff806270698bc
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: e48
OS version: 10_0_19044
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1
OS Version: 10.0.19044.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 2057

From various googling apparently error code 141 can be due to a handful of different issues.
Here is what I have done so far to troubleshoot with no luck:
  • Completely uninstalled all graphics drivers using DDU with the computer booted in safe mode and no internet connection. Also tried using an older graphics driver after this, as well as updating to the newest version.
  • Used Ghostbuster to remove any ghost drivers that may be causing issues.
  • Removed all Bluetooth devices and the dongle.
  • ChkDsk on all drives.
  • Full virus scan.
  • Reseated the GPU and Ram.
  • Fur mark GPU stress test for 20+ minutes with no crashing or issues.
  • Reinstalled origin and steam
  • Reinstalled and verified files of all games.
My temps are also completely fine, with my CPU only reaching around 60 under load, and my GPU around 75. Also before the crashes happen the games do run completely fine, no stuttering and high fps. Today I was able to play BF5 for 45 minutes before the game crashed. I did recently overclock my GPU using MSI afterburner and Haven benchmark following a tutorial online. I found stable values and had no issues for a while after the overclocks, but I had since removed the overclocks and uninstalled both Ryzen Master and Afterburner just to be sure.
The only other thing I’ve seen online is to reinstall windows completely, this is something I’d understandably only want to do as a last resort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
As your temps are fine, my money is on your PSU being the culprit, especially since the model you have is a cheap one. Whilst EVGA do make some good units, yours is not one of them.