Question Games freezing for split second

Jun 23, 2021
Hey everyone,

I've been having an issue for a couple of months now where games such as Overwatch or Apex Legends tend to freeze for a split second, no matter the graphics settings.
It's getting quite pesky and I'm hoping there's someone out there with the fix. I've personally tried several things to try and fix the problem, but with no succes so far.
Hopefully you can help in one way or another, thank you for taking your time to read this.

I've tried several things such as:
  • Closing background applications
  • Lowering graphic settings
  • Updating graphics drivers
  • downgrading graphics drivers
  • Unplugging second monitor
  • Prioritizing current games
  • Reinstalling windows

This is probably irrelevant information but even after purchasing a new graphics card (for reasons other than this issue) the issue still persisted.

A few details about my rig:

CPU: Intel I7-7700K
GPU: RTX 2080 SUPER (MSI)
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E
Monitor1: V6LC3102 BenQ 27 L Zowie XL2731 144hz
Monitor2: Medion MD20094 60hz 16:10

Jun 23, 2021
Are you monitoring temperatures? Possible a brief 'spike' in temps results in the stutter.

Any overclock, CPU/RAM?

Hi Barty,

From what I've seen my temperatures rarely rise above 75°C. I don't have any OC in neither CPU or RAM. I'm not 100% sure about the temperatures though, I will check as soon as I can and post my findings.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hi Barty,

From what I've seen my temperatures rarely rise above 75°C. I don't have any OC in neither CPU or RAM. I'm not 100% sure about the temperatures though, I will check as soon as I can and post my findings.

I would also take a look at memory. 3200MHz was a little ahead of a 7700K's time as 'mainstream', IIRC.
It shouldn't be an issue, but wouldn't hurt to drop that back to 2400MHz or so in the BIOS, just to rule it in/out as a problem.

Jun 23, 2021
I would also take a look at memory. 3200MHz was a little ahead of a 7700K's time as 'mainstream', IIRC.
It shouldn't be an issue, but wouldn't hurt to drop that back to 2400MHz or so in the BIOS, just to rule it in/out as a problem.

Hi Barty,

I've tried dropping back the ram to 2400MHz, unfortunately this did not make a difference. I also confirmed that my temps do not exceed 75 degrees Celsius whilst playing.
Is there a way for me to see if anything is interupting my gameplay at that very moment?