[SOLVED] Games keep crashing due too OC. NEED HELP PLEASE!

Jarvy99

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hey everyone, i have a ROG 2080 ti strix OC and just recently i was running a very smooth overclock that had no problems for about 4 weeks, was playing all my games at 120
fps in 2K, such as battlefield, apex, rust and borderlands 2. Last night I went to load up battlefield after playing south park all day and it needed an update so I updated battlefield V and it kept crashing. So I tried loading up fortnite and as soon as I jump out of the bus same thing, the game crashes. Apex had the same problem so I have gone to my graphics card tweaker app which is ASUS GPU tweaker II and turned off my OC and the games run fine. Only problem is they are only running now between 60-80fps. So i dialed back all my sliders and started from the start but max power supply that increased the frames a little running stable. Increased my memory clock to max and that runs stable. Now when I try and run my GPU Boost clock (MHz) this is what is causing the problem. I use too run it at 1855 (+200), but now I can only run at 1775 (+125) for a stable OC which can only give me an average of 95 FPS in 2K. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this maybe happening and any fixes as having a 2080 ti that cost 2 000 AUD would run games in 2K on average of 110 FPS or higher thank you.

Solution
Theres nothing that can be done honestly, every chip is different, some overclock more with less voltage and others need more voltage to achieve the same level, what is left to do now is check the difference between the stock GPU fps, and the fps with +125mhz, there we can get analyze if the final fps is out of range, could be an underlying issue, but frankly, to me, you wouldnt get much more than 5fps with a +125mhz core, over the stock
wow thats a lot of complicated info packed together.

anyways, I doubt an overclock would skyrocket 60-80 to something like 120 fps, even peak, thats insane.

then, you gotta specify your whole system specs, is the CPU overclocked too? did you get a BSOD or you get a crash in which it says the executable could not access the GPU? slight overclocks usually results in a soft driver crash, meaning you don't even have to reboot the CPU...

anyways, theres no 'fix' for overclock crashes, you simply have reached the limit, to go futher you need to increase the voltages, something i'd never do on a GPU

Jarvy99

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
wow thats a lot of complicated info packed together.

anyways, I doubt an overclock would skyrocket 60-80 to something like 120 fps, even peak, thats insane.

then, you gotta specify your whole system specs, is the CPU overclocked too? did you get a BSOD or you get a crash in which it says the executable could not access the GPU? slight overclocks usually results in a soft driver crash, meaning you don't even have to reboot the CPU...

anyways, theres no 'fix' for overclock crashes, you simply have reached the limit, to go futher you need to increase the voltages, something i'd never do on a GPU
The CPU is also overclocked at 5.1GHz at 1.3V it is an I9 9900K, running 3600Mhz ram (4x8GB all from same packet). The game will just freeze for like 5 seconds and then crash, the system and CPU is still running fine no need to restart the whole system only the games are crashing.

The CPU is also overclocked at 5.1GHz at 1.3V it is an I9 9900K, running 3600Mhz ram (4x8GB all from same packet). The game will just freeze for like 5 seconds and then crash, the system and CPU is still running fine no need to restart the whole system only the games are crashing.

Ok, CPU OC fails always result in a BSOD or a complete halt, so that one seem to be alright.

Now GPU, it can prove a bit trickier cause you not only tackle with core clocks, but also memory clocks, I suggest you reset everything to default, then start with +100mhz on the core, from there, start upping by +10-15 increments until you crash, but to me a +125mhz sounds about as much as you'll get without upping the voltage, +200mhz sounds a bit like pushing for the stock voltage to me.

anyways, once you find the core, you start with the memory, those usually can pump a lot more than the core in MHZ, perhaps +300mhz, but theres frankly so much you can get off the stock voltage...

anyways, what seem to be the problem, exactly? the turbo boost on GPU's kicks in when its usage increase, well just as its name suggest, its a turbo feature, it will overclock the card on its own, automatically, and then add the extra mhz you've manually set on top of it, too much = crash, and frankly with your specs an extra mhz on the gpu is not going to make a huge difference... you claiming you lost like.. 40 fps?

Jarvy99

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Ok, CPU OC fails always result in a BSOD or a complete halt, so that one seem to be alright.

Now GPU, it can prove a bit trickier cause you not only tackle with core clocks, but also memory clocks, I suggest you reset everything to default, then start with +100mhz on the core, from there, start upping by +10-15 increments until you crash, but to me a +125mhz sounds about as much as you'll get without upping the voltage, +200mhz sounds a bit like pushing for the stock voltage to me.

anyways, once you find the core, you start with the memory, those usually can pump a lot more than the core in MHZ, perhaps +300mhz, but theres frankly so much you can get off the stock voltage...

anyways, what seem to be the problem, exactly? the turbo boost on GPU's kicks in when its usage increase, well just as its name suggest, its a turbo feature, it will overclock the card on its own, automatically, and then add the extra mhz you've manually set on top of it, too much = crash, and frankly with your specs an extra mhz on the gpu is not going to make a huge difference... you claiming you lost like.. 40 fps?
Yea as i stated the fps was running around 110-120 FPS on average while i had the exact saem OC as this
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL1d0MMEgZE&t=500s
(skip too about 8 minutes). Then yesterday the OC just stopped working I had a profile set for that exact OC and i was getting very high frames on 2560x1440 resolution. But it started crashing all my games on that profile had to reset it and now don't even get close to that GPU frequency anymore resulting in max 100FPS at that resolution.

Theres nothing that can be done honestly, every chip is different, some overclock more with less voltage and others need more voltage to achieve the same level, what is left to do now is check the difference between the stock GPU fps, and the fps with +125mhz, there we can get analyze if the final fps is out of range, could be an underlying issue, but frankly, to me, you wouldnt get much more than 5fps with a +125mhz core, over the stock

Solution