Question games lag when only one monitor plugged in

1zy

Mar 21, 2021
I posted a thread about this a while ago but it died so I'm gonna make another one. For some reason whenever playing a game with only one monitor plugged in(I usually have two), and also having obs or anything else that utilizes the gpu, my games lag and jutter like crazy. Since my last thread I've gotten a new CPU(5600x) and a new power supply, but neither have solved the issue. I've also done a fresh install of windows to no avail. So therefore if it is not a driver, CPU, or power issue, it must be the GPU right? I doubt it's the ram as I've run memtest on it multiple times with no errors, and the GPU is the only thing directly interfacing with the monitors.

specs:

Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte B450 DS3H
GTX 1650 Super
G.Skill Aegis 16gb DDR4-3200 cl16
TEAMGROUP 512gb sata m.2 SSD
Seasonic CORE GM 650w 80+ Gold power supply

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model monitors? What connectivity (HDMI, DP, DVI-x) are you using to each monitor?

Does it make a difference which monitor is the sole ( the "one") monitor?

What Project ("WIN" + "P" key combination) configuration(s) do you use: PC screen only, Duplicatg, Extend, Second screen only?

When "only one monitor is plugged in" do you mean that power cable is disconnected, the video cable is disconnected, or both?

One thing you can do is to open Resource Monitor with two monitors in use. Work, game, etc. as normal with both monitors plugged in.

Then unplug the monitor as usual and normal. Then see what changes in Resource Monitor.

My thought is that there is some app running and trying to find the unplugged monitor in order to check monitor status, do an update of some sort, or trying to phone home - no monitor and the process fails or otherwise bogs down the system.

1zy

Mar 21, 2021
Make and model monitors? What connectivity (HDMI, DP, DVI-x) are you using to each monitor?

Does it make a difference which monitor is the sole ( the "one") monitor?

What Project ("WIN" + "P" key combination) configuration(s) do you use: PC screen only, Duplicatg, Extend, Second screen only?

When "only one monitor is plugged in" do you mean that power cable is disconnected, the video cable is disconnected, or both?

One thing you can do is to open Resource Monitor with two monitors in use. Work, game, etc. as normal with both monitors plugged in.

Then unplug the monitor as usual and normal. Then see what changes in Resource Monitor.

My thought is that there is some app running and trying to find the unplugged monitor in order to check monitor status, do an update of some sort, or trying to phone home - no monitor and the process fails or otherwise bogs down the system.
I'm using an ASUS VG249Q as my main with DisplayPort and an HP 22cwa as second with HDMI, although using different monitors or different connections produces the same issue.

I use extend.

By only having one monitor plugged in I mean the second monitor has video cable disconnected and power cable disconnected. So the only thing connected to the computer is the one single monitor(my ASUS VG249Q)

Will try this out although I doubt its the case as the issue persisted with a fresh install of windows.

I really wish I had another system to test this issue out on(installing graphics card in another system and testing) but I only have my one unfortunately.

EDIT:

How would I go about utilizing resource monitor for this?
the issue only occurs when another program(which utilizes the gpu: obs, youtube video, zoom meeting, etc.) other than the game is open. this combined with a fresh install of windows and cpu/psu upgrades makes me think this weird thing has to do with my gpu.

Last edited:

1zy

Mar 21, 2021
Having resource monitor, obs, and a game open and then unplugging the second monitor with the game open on the main monitor produced really weird artifacts all across the screen, closing and reopening the game fixed it. This only occurred within the game aswell as on the title screen. I haven't been able to replicate it though. gpu freakout?