Question Games lagging when in fullscreen mode, have reinstalled AMD drivers and software multiple times

May 27, 2021
Hello,

Initially I would like to start by saying I have tried to reinstall both my graphics drivers, as well as the AMD radeon software, twice and that does not seem to have fixed my issues. My system specs are as follows:

Mobo: ASUS ROG-570-F Gaming
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
RAM: 2x16GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz DDR4 memory (I'm pretty sure, can't find the box)
Storage: Crucial MX500 2 TB
GPU: AMD Radeon RX580

Recently upgraded my computer with a new processor and motherboard and a fresh install of windows 10 and all seemed to be fine for about a month or so. However, about one-two weeks ago I noticed after booting battlefield 1 up it was experiencing extreme framerate drops (seemingly down to single digits). Switching the game to windowed mode however seemed to cure the issue immediately, even clicking off the main screen onto my secondary monitor immediately cures the issue. After some checking I found that all my games shared this problem, even more graphically "simple" games like factorio will run poorly in full screen.

I have factorio open on my main screen currently and the AMD software its reporting a GPU utilization ranging from 0%-100% on a cycling about every 15s. However, CPUID HWMonitor is only showing around 17% with a max around 43%, I was running another more demanding game earlier. Temperature seem to have remained steady at around 45-55°C. Whilst I'm clicked out of the application the game runs fine (in borderless windowed), after clicking on the window the lag returns after a second or two.

Interestingly I did think I solved the issue last night (accidently), when I swapped the HDMI leads around in the back of my PC everything suddenly ran fine. Unfortunately The issue resurfaced after maybe 2 hours, just starting abruptly in the middle of a game I was playing.

May 27, 2021
sorry but why would you be using HDMI when you have display-port buy the proper cable problem fixed hope this solves your issue.

Hello RARRAF,

Thankyou for the advice, I've swapped the cable for a display one. All seems to be working fine, for now at least. I'll update this thread if the problem returns, as it did last time I thought I fixed it. Out of interest could you explain why a display cable is better than a HDMI cable?