Question Games lagging?

Jan 28, 2021
So I decided to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on my pc as it was running a bit slow and now all my games lag severely.
I haven't changed any hardware and all my games ran on ultra
It has nothing to do with the specs of my pc or GPU as I haven't changed them and have been running these games for 6 years with the same set up.

I've done a fresh install of Windows 3 times, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Origins and 2 of the games 5 times.
I have verified all game files 3 times.
ALL my drivers and software are up to date.
My PC is not overheating.
I have defragged both hard drives.
I run everything as an administrator
I do not have nvidia or origins over lay on.
My PC is not dusty.
I have no viruses
Nothing is open in the background and my pc performance is fine.
Yes, I have switched my pc on and off plenty of times since then.
Yes it is using my graphics card and not the on board graphics.

Please help cause I'm stumped?

Jan 28, 2021
I have an Intel 3rd gen i7
Aurora motherboard
Nvidia geforce gtx 960 2gb
16gb ram
1tb HDD

The components are irrelevant as I haven't had this issue using them for 6 years.

Both the GPU and CPU aren't even hitting 30 degrees while running the games and are obviously much lower than that when idle.

I never over clock anything.

Thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Details matter especially on an older system. Are you using an i7-3770K or i7-3770?

30C running games actually seems low. That is about where it should be at idle. If not getting hotter than that, that indicates that your CPU and GPU aren't throttling up to handle the additional workload required by your games.

Of course, if your room is at 0C, then 30C might be okay. But, I doubt that is the situation.

Your HDD could be slowing down your system as well. How full is it? Have you tested its health?

Jan 28, 2021
What are the specs for this system (make/model of all installed components)?

What are the CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load?

Are you overclocking anything (CPU, GPU, memory)?

I've managed to get one of the two games to run now (Dragon Age Origins)
However Dragon Age Inquisition is still severely lagging, even on the lowest settings.

Jan 28, 2021
Details matter especially on an older system. Are you using an i7-3770K or i7-3770?

30C running games actually seems low. That is about where it should be at idle. If not getting hotter than that, that indicates that your CPU and GPU aren't throttling up to handle the additional workload required by your games.

Of course, if your room is at 0C, then 30C might be okay. But, I doubt that is the situation.

Your HDD could be slowing down your system as well. How full is it? Have you tested its health?

My room temp is actually 5 degrees at the moment 😅 and it's gone up to 43 degrees on my GPU now.
However I shall have to check what i7 it is and i understand that but Ive been using this for 6 years and it only starting having this issue since doing a clean wipe and reinstall of windows 10.
My HDD's aren't even half full and I have checked if it's an issue by uninstalling and installing the game on both hard drives and then running it.
No idea how to check the health of a HDD but they have been defragged and aren't full.

Jan 28, 2021
I've managed to get one of the two games to run now (Dragon Age Origins)
However Dragon Age Inquisition is still severely lagging, even on the lowest settings.

So it doesn't state in DXDIAG what the processor is and I canny be arsed to whip it out and have a look at it cause that's too much faff but it is one of the two you suggested.

Jan 28, 2021
Use CPU-Z to identify your CPU: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Use a tool like SeaTools for Windows to test your HDD health.

I shall have a gander but i think the problem might be Origin related as I run the games through that client and now that i think about it, it seems like it's origin that is slowing my pc down and lagging my games cause it keeps crashing. I've uninstalled it and installed it multiple times but I guess the best way to find out is install and try one of my steam games.

Install/run both HWmonitor (to monitor temps and clock speeds achieved) and CPU-Z/bench/ stress CPU to impose an all-core load....; I'd suspect your chipset drivers are botched/not installed if sitting at only 800 MHz, for instance. (About the only way you could have 30C temps doing anything..)

Jan 28, 2021
Install/run both HWmonitor (to monitor temps and clock speeds achieved) and CPU-Z/bench/ stress CPU to impose an all-core load....; I'd suspect your chipset drivers are botched/not installed if sitting at only 800 MHz, for instance. (About the only way you could have 30C temps doing anything..)

Your jargon is way above my head dude. I have no idea what any of that meant.
It's not the hardware as i have been running these games right up until the fresh install and the reinstall of origins