[SOLVED] Games look way worse on my TV compared to my PC monitor. How to improve TV display quality?

topeira

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
Hi guys.

I have a Haier 50 inch LED TV (1080p max res) connected to my PC, which has a Dell 1440p monitor. I sit at around 2 meters from the screens.
I run games on 1080p only and I can see the game both on my monitor and on the TV at the same time. The games look WAY better on my computer monitor (smoother, better colors, better aliasing), even though they run both at 1080p.
On the TV they look over sharpened, too contrasted, pixelated. if I stick my nose 20cm from my computer monitor it still looks better and smoother (less aliased) than how the game looks on TV when im 1-2 meters from it.

I don't think I can improve color banding on the TV, but maybe I can make the image look smoother and not as if it's sharpened with an artificial filter on the TV.
Any advice on how to do that?

Solution
You will not get a 50" 1080 TV, especially of a cheaper brand, looking near what a monitor does at any distance closer than 10 feet or so. The pixel size and pitch between them is just too large and they processing of the signal in cheaper set is in most cases not great. You may get an OK result with trying different settings like contrast, brightness, keep the sharpness setting lower on the TV, try different build in modes, but it will not look as good as a monitor or as good as a higher end and higher resolution 4k TV of the same size. Basically, you need to lower your expectations when using that screen.
You will not get a 50" 1080 TV, especially of a cheaper brand, looking near what a monitor does at any distance closer than 10 feet or so. The pixel size and pitch between them is just too large and they processing of the signal in cheaper set is in most cases not great. You may get an OK result with trying different settings like contrast, brightness, keep the sharpness setting lower on the TV, try different build in modes, but it will not look as good as a monitor or as good as a higher end and higher resolution 4k TV of the same size. Basically, you need to lower your expectations when using that screen.

Solution