Ayush_Wesker

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
My system specs are
Ryzen 5 1400 Quad core 3.0Ghz
GTX 1060 OC Edition
8GB DDR4 2800Mhz
1080P Monitor
And even in such system most of the modern games wont run at all. I tried Metro Exodus, The Division 2 and it runs so horribly that its unplayable. When running games my fps avg is 10-15 in open places. I dont understand as this is a decent system and should at least run the games smoothly at lowest settings but nothing works whereas my friends play these games in 1050 or laptop graphics card inferior to 1060 smoothly in atleast low settings. Can someone please help me find what is the problem?

Solution
Do ALL of the following, FIRST, and then we can go from there. Do not make the mistake of thinking any of these steps are unimportant, because they are ALL important.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours...
Do ALL of the following, FIRST, and then we can go from there. Do not make the mistake of thinking any of these steps are unimportant, because they are ALL important.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Reactions: xBrownboy
Solution

Ayush_Wesker

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

Ok I am doing all of the above mentioned task. But apart from it do you think my setup is good enough to run these games smoothly?

Yes. My first thought considering your specs and the gaming performance was that you were accidentally using the integrated graphics, because your system should absolutely perform better than that, but then I saw that your CPU model does not have integrated graphics so that ruled that out.

My next thought is that you have a fake graphics card. Where did you buy the graphics card?

Ayush_Wesker

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
Yes. My first thought considering your specs and the gaming performance was that you were accidentally using the integrated graphics, because your system should absolutely perform better than that, but then I saw that your CPU model does not have integrated graphics so that ruled that out.

My next thought is that you have a fake graphics card. Where did you buy the graphics card?
I bought it from local marketplace along with all other components. But I highly doubt it to be fake because I have been purchasing from there for quite some time now. But is there a way to know if card is fake or not? Like benchmarking etc. Also my motherboard is normal gigabyte A320M HD2. Can it have anything to do with bottlenecking anything?

Post a picture of the graphics card. You will need to upload the image to one of the hosting servers like imgur or tinypic, then copy the "for direct layouts" URL of the hosted image. It needs to end in an image format like .jpg, .png or .bmp. Click the insert image button on the toolbar above the text box on your post and then insert the URL from the hosting site.

There is nothing related to a bottleneck, with the hardware you have, that could result in THAT bad of performance. It is something else.

Do ALL of the things I listed previously, and also please list the EXACT model of your power supply.

Ayush_Wesker

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015

IT worked. I just updated my bios and reinstalled the graphics driver and miracle happened. At a time I was not even able to run game at 10fps on lowest and now I am running same games at 60fps in high. Thankyou very much for the help.

For sure man. You are most welcome. I'm glad it did the trick. Always remember this process for the future. Anytime you build a new system or upgrade hardware, it's always a good idea to check all those things from the start, and then start worrying about what might be wrong if the problem doesn't resolve itself. Good luck to you.

Reactions: Ayush_Wesker