Games not running well on mid/high system.

zecele

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
SPECS:

MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III 2gb
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
Seagate Barracuda 500gb hardive 7200rpm 16mb
Coolermaster Elite 500w PSU
ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit
8gb ripjaws ram

Games tested so Far:

GTA IV = Lag/Stutter
Witcher 2 = Lag on medium to high settings.
Every Bethesda game = Lag when the fps drops at all even by just 1 fps.
Minecraft = Stutter
Dead Island = Weird Stutter even with consistent 60 Fps.
Dark Souls = Runs Perfectly
Dead Space 2 = Seems to run Perfectly
Mass effect 3 = Some lag.
Indie Games run fine.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had lag in most games that i have tried and in reality my system should be able to run any game on max settings. I have had this lag since i built my computer and since then i have updated my gpu, ram and cpu and all this did was increase my fps but not fix the lag so in my mind that only leaves the psu or hdd as far i know a mobo doesnt cause bad game performance like that. I have reinstalled windows multiple times, reinstalled drivers multiple times.

I really need help with this cause it is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance, help in greatly appreciated.

SPECS:

MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III 2gb
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
Seagate Barracuda 500gb hardive 7200rpm 16mb
Coolermaster Elite 500w PSU
ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit
8gb ripjaws ram

Games tested so Far:

GTA IV = Lag/Stutter
Witcher 2 = Lag on medium to high settings.
Every Bethesda game = Lag when the fps drops at all even by just 1 fps.
Minecraft = Stutter
Dead Island = Weird Stutter even with consistent 60 Fps.
Dark Souls = Runs Perfectly
Dead Space 2 = Seems to run Perfectly
Mass effect 3 = Some lag.
Indie Games run fine.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had lag in most games that i have tried and in reality my system should be able to run any game on max settings. I have had this lag since i built my computer and since then i have updated my gpu, ram and cpu and all this did was increase my fps but not fix the lag so in my mind that only leaves the psu or hdd as far i know a mobo doesnt cause bad game performance like that. I have reinstalled windows multiple times, reinstalled drivers multiple times.

I really need help with this cause it is driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance, help in greatly appreciated.

I Reset my Nvidia Settings.

Solution
Okay. Let's figure it out 1 by 1 game. Let's start, from say, Witcher 2.

Download MSI Afterburner and launch it. Next, download HWMonitor. Launch it as well. Finally, launch task manager performance tab.

Launch Witcher 2. Play until it lags. Next, minimize the game and screenshot task manager, msi afterburner and HWMonitor. Post images here.

Download links.
HWMonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
MSI Afterburner: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/overview.htm

zecele

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

This has improved performance greatly Skyrim has near enough no lag but there is some weird stuttering issue now i haven't tested other games yet. Also minecraft still stutters and mass effect 3 now lags when turning.

zecele

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

AA set to Application Controlled
Adaptive Vsync is on
I have the latest drivers

zecele

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
the 3570k is mid/high gaming cpu. His outdated cpu is low/mid. I'll reiterate myself. Your cpu is a piece of garbage. Upgrade to fix your fps. Also make sure you're running at your monitor's native resolution.

The phernom II x4 is an extremely popular cpu for gaming i have seen many people using it for gaming for battlefield 3 and far cry 3 with stable 60 fps. Most games use gpu over cpu anyway also my cpu is overclocked to 3.8ghz. Also the problem isnt anything to do with fps im getting good fps but still getting stutter.

zecele

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Try doing a clean install of Nvidia

EDIT: is windows up to date?

I have done at least 4 clean installs of nvidia as i recently just upgraded my gpu from an powercolor hd 6850 to a nvidia gtx 660 so had to wipe all my old divers anyway with driver sweeper/fusion.

And i also tried reinstalling windows 7 and have downloaded all the updates again.

zecele

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
Is the resolution set to your monitor's native resolution? I have the EVGA GTX 660 2GB SC and it is OCed and has none of the problems you're having. Assuming it is a hardware limitation I'm saying its your cpu. I play Skyrim maxed out with HD textures, tons of mods, hi-res models, ect. If I remember correctly Skyrim is CPU hungry.

Even maxing out planet side 2 on my 3570k @ 4.2Ghz the fps will drop to 42fps here and there.

Yes it matches my monitors native resolution. Also Planetside 2 for me runs fine on max settings no lag at all.

bigirishman

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hi mate! Turn off vsync (including adaptive). Download riva tuner v2.24 and install. Once installed go to program files x86 - riva tuner - tools - d3doverrider and create a shortcut to your desktop for the d3doverrider.exe file. You can now force vsync using d3doverrider instead of using NVidia or game vsync and it should sort your issue out. To set d3doverrider to work for your specific game then start the program with the shortcut then once opened click the + button at the bottom left and find the game exe where ever its installed. Force triple buffering setting should be set to on and force vsync setting should be set to on, also application detection level should be set to high.

zecele

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012

I have tried this before and it did not work as far as know using the vsync option in the control panel is no different than forcing it in d3doverrider but thanks for the advice.