Question Games not starting while Google Chrome is running

mohsin101010

Prominent
Feb 2, 2021
Hi, so I have been facing this issue and unable to find any fix, so whenever I try to run a game while google chrome is running in background it does not start and crashes, sometimes its gives error related "Out of memory", also if open too many tabs in google chrome I see this issue, while when I check the memory in task manager, the system is using only 60% of the ram and google chrome showing out of memory error. And pages does not get load, I will try to attach a video if possible. Here are my specs,

Intel 11400 i5
XPG Spectrix D60 DDR4 3600MHz 16GB RGB
119GB ADATA SU800 (SATA (SSD))
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 (Gigabyte)
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B560M DS3H (U3E1)

mohsin101010

Prominent
Feb 2, 2021
So I have around 12 tabs opened right now and now I have opened a new tab and it just keeps loading. meanwhile if I see memory usage, its at 71%, if its the memory issue then why its not using 100% first?

InvalidError

Titan
If you leave hardware acceleration enabled in Chrome/FF, they may consume most of the VRAM and cause issues with games - I had to disable that on my GTX1050 to avoid massive artifacting in WoW.

Another option is to go into BIOS to enable your 11400's IGP, then use Windows' Graphics settings page to steer Chrome/FF onto IGP so they don't hog VRAM - that is what I am doing right now and it has been working pretty good for me so far.

mu_p1

Prominent
Jan 21, 2022
A lot of browsers are based on Chromium, so no matter what you try, almost every browser will be a memory hog.
This is why you want more memory in your computer while trying to do anything but use Chome in the background.

InvalidError

Titan
I would set it to automatic.
I would only set it to manual to figure out what its typical size "under load" should be, then make it fixed-size 8GB larger than the highest it hit. I have at least one program that freaks out when I turn swapping off, so I still set my swapfile to 8GB despite having 32GB of RAM.

When left on automatic, Windows has a tendency to periodically resize the swapfile and this can cause some stuttering.

mohsin101010

Prominent
Feb 2, 2021
I would only set it to manual to figure out what its typical size "under load" should be, then make it fixed-size 8GB larger than the highest it hit. I have at least one program that freaks out when I turn swapping off, so I still set my swapfile to 8GB despite having 32GB of RAM.

When left on automatic, Windows has a tendency to periodically resize the swapfile and this can cause some stuttering.
Stuttering in games?

InvalidError

Titan
Yes, I am planning to upgrade to 32 GB but I was worried that what if this issue still stays. Hence asked here first.
If your system memory is only at 60% when Chrome complains that it is out of memory, it may be out of VRAM. As I wrote earlier: try disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome or enabling your IGP and make Chrome use that instead hogging your GPU's memory.