[SOLVED] Games rendered from HDD or CPU/GPU/ram?

Apr 26, 2021
On ps4 when I’m playing an open world game like RDR2 does the world render from my HDD or the CPU/GPU and RAM? Considering the PS4s HDD is a sluggish 100 MB/s I would think it would be the CPU/GPU and RAM but I’m not sure. I think I read someone that ps4 games are optimized to render in real time from the GPU/CPU and RAM due to the slow HDD but I could be completely wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
It renders from the CPU/GPU and RAM. What's happening in open world games is that the game doesn't try to load everything at once. It only loads the bare minimum to get the game running to decrease load times. Then it starts reading in higher resolution assets, which causes things like textures and hi-poly models to "pop-in"

Apr 26, 2021
It renders from the CPU/GPU and RAM. What's happening in open world games is that the game doesn't try to load everything at once. It only loads the bare minimum to get the game running to decrease load times. Then it starts reading in higher resolution assets, which causes things like textures and hi-poly models to "pop-in"
Does the HDD load all this into the RAM and GPU when you initially load into the game?