Question Games running poorly randomly and inexplicably

jathin.kashyap23

Reputable
Oct 1, 2018
Pc Specs: GTX 1080Ti, i7 8700k, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, Aorus Z370 Mobo. So I launched GTA 4 day before yesterday, a daily routine, and noticed that the load time has increased by about 1 min (it usually takes upto just 20 secs since it's on my SSD). Ignored it thinking it was a one time issue but as I continued to play the game I noticed that the game was very grainy and artifact-y, the FPS was locked to 60 and as I kept playing it kept fluctuating ranging from 1-60, frame time went above 130ms regularly. The same happened with Batman Arkham Knight(on my HDD). I checked my OC settings, changed it to default but the results were the same. Even double checked the nvidia control panel settings, nothing was changed. And this was very sudden. I launched Hitman 2 (SSD) to check if it had the same issue but it didn't, it functioned and looked just fine. I've launched and played multiple games since and so far I haven't noticed any pattern as to which games are affected due to this issue, it's very random. Below is the userbenchmark of my system.

Userbenchmark results

Pc Specs: GTX 1080Ti, i7 8700k, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, Aorus Z370 Mobo. So I launched GTA 4 day before yesterday, a daily routine, and noticed that the load time has increased by about 1 min (it usually takes upto just 20 secs since it's on my SSD). Ignored it thinking it was a one time issue but as I continued to play the game I noticed that the game was very grainy and artifact-y, the FPS was locked to 60 and as I kept playing it kept fluctuating ranging from 1-60, frame time went above 130ms regularly. The same happened with Batman Arkham Knight(on my HDD). I checked my OC settings, changed it to default but the results were the same. Even double checked the nvidia control panel settings, nothing was changed. And this was very sudden. I launched Hitman 2 (SSD) to check if it had the same issue but it didn't, it functioned and looked just fine. I've launched and played multiple games since and so far I haven't noticed any pattern as to which games are affected due to this issue, it's very random. Below is the userbenchmark of my system.

Userbenchmark results
Reboot and let the machine sit for 5 mins.
Run UBM and post a link to the results.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 3, PSU: Corsair RM1000x
try this step by step (read until end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors and chipset on device manager (should be 12 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no) like this:
    unknown.png

Chipset (ignore if there is none):
    unknown.png
  • Restart the pc to bios, and update to the latest bios. Then go to bios again after update and load default or optimized settings.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver, reboot, and connect to internet.

• Install the latest nvidia driver.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did) and make sure ram is on slot 2 and 4 if you use 2 sticks. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• And check windows update (and optional updates) if there is any and install them (except chipset in optional update). Also enable Hardware Accelerated Graphics Scheduling (available on the latest win 10 update) in graphics settings like this and reboot:
    unknown.png
Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
unknown.png

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: helper800

jathin.kashyap23

Reputable
Oct 1, 2018
Did you download something you shouldn't have? I say that, because the system was flagged for 100% cpu background usage.
That is crazy high; ideally it should be 10% or lower for the best results.

The other stuff can come later, you gotta resolve this first.
Virus/malware scan - give Adwcleaner a go: https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner

I've installed the adwcleaner that you linked, used it, ran a malwarebytes virus scan and tested again, 100% cpu bg usage still. Do I have to reapply thermal paste or something? I haven't done that since I've built the PC back in 2018. Also just noticed that one of the three GPU fans isn't rotating despite the fan speed set at 90 in MSI afterburner, even at high temps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do I have to reapply thermal paste or something?
Not related to the 100% cpu background usage, plus the cpu's Turbo(avg) would be lower than base clock, if that were the case(it's not).
You have something, or a lot of somethings running in the background.

I didn't know you already had Malwarebytes - that's why I suggested Adwcleaner... and ya still didn't find anything. This might be pretty serious.

Been downloading cracked games, or certain torrent files? That's a risky way to get your PC compromised, which may force you to wipe everything.
Or maybe running a miner?

Also just noticed that one of the three GPU fans isn't rotating despite the fan speed set at 90 in MSI afterburner, even at high temps.
Could just be broken. It inevitably happens.
You would have to take the card apart, and get the serial number, which is on the back of the fan, so you can order more of them.