Games running worse on better hardware

Feb 5, 2019
I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I have bought three new computers in the past couple of weeks and they all had the same issue. Despite them having much better specs than my 8 year old PC my games run worse.

The games are laggy, but the lag is not visible. It is hard to explain but I definitely feel the lag but my frame rate remains high. It feels much worse in very technical action games that require precise inputs. The lag is at its worst when there are a lot enemies or large bosses on screen or when enemies spawn or die. However despite this looking like a pattern, at times the game runs normally during these seemingly problem-causing sections. So it feels quite random.

It does not matter what settings I put the games on, high or low they run the same. I have tried locking the frame rate to 60 with no results. I do not have issues with lag watching videos or listening to music. I will list the specs of the PCs and everything I have tried
to try and fix this issue below.

1st New PC Specs (returned):
CPU: Intel Core I7 7700 @ 3.4 GHZ
GPU: Nvidia geforce GTX1060 6 GB
RAM: 8 GB
MOTHERBOARD: MSI H110M PRO-D mATX
HD1: SSD 120 GB
HD2: HDD 1TB

2nd New PC (returned):
CPU: i7 7700
GPU: gtx 1060 6gb
RAM: 16 GB
120 gb ssd
1TB hdd
MOBO: Unknown (I do not remember)

Current new PC Specs:
- Ryzen 5 CPU 2600 3.4 GHZ
- Saphire GPU RX 590 8GB
- 8GB RAM
- Mainboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2
- SSD hard drive 120 GB
- HDD hard drive 1TB
- PSU Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W
- OS version: Windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.253)

Monitors used (TVs):
Telefunken t32r761
Philips 37pfl5604h/12
(both 50HZ)

The games (usually played at 1280x720 or 1920x1080 but I changed it several times to see if it would make a difference):
Devil May Cry 4
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
Resident Evil 4
Nidhogg
Rocket League

PC parameters monitored:
- cpu usage: fine
- clock speed: consistent
- cpu and gpu temps: never go above 50°
- frame time: stable and consistent

Things I have tried:
- tried to test for latency (no signs for latency problems)
- tried different keyboard, different controllers, different screen, different outlet, different usb port.
- tried unplugging keyboard, mouse, and headphones (no latency or input delay found)
- tried to make the game use only 2 cores instead of all 12
- tried all possible video card graphic settings
- uninstalled and reinstalled video card drivers multiple times on 2 pc's
- updated video card drivers
- tried outdated video card drivers
- tried to change stuff in windows 10
- disabled all background apps
- disabled game mode
- set everything to performance mode in power management
- installed windows updates (same performance before and after updates)
- reset windows 10
- tried various troubleshooters
- tried to run games in compatibility mode for win7, win8

Various Test Results:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/443541586647711748/542879926173302794/Screenshot_7.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/443541586647711748/542869770945429541/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/443541586647711748/542869931130355732/unknown.png

I am so frustrated with this right now. Who would've thought buying a new functioning PC would be so difficult? I am on the verge of returning/selling this PC and buying a console instead Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue? As I said before it happens in all my games but is much more problematic in action games that require tight, precise inputs.

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU in all the system's. Then you also didn't mention the games you used to tax the systems with and come to the conclusion that the system's are faulty/failing.

Can you verify which version of the OS you're currently on? Lastly, mention the make and model of your monitor and the resolution you run the games at.

Feb 5, 2019

I will also edit my original post
PSU: Thermaltake Smart RGB 500W (Current PC)
I unfortunately do not know the PSUs of the other computers.

I use a TV as a monitor and the ones I have used are:
telefunken t32r761
philips 37pfl5604h/12
(both 50HZ)

The games (usually played at 1280x720 or 1920x1080 but I changed it several times to see if it would make a difference):
Devil May Cry 4
Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition
Resident Evil 4
Nidhogg
Rocket League

OS version:
Windows 10 version 1809 (Build 17763.253)

Also I would like it if you would look at these tests I ran on my PC
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/443541586647711748/542879926173302794/Screenshot_7.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/443541586647711748/542869770945429541/unknown.png
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/443541586647711748/542869931130355732/unknown.png

beruuce

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
It’s difficult to really understand what the problem is without some sort of video of the issue because you’re saying you have high FPS but the

“The games are laggy, but the lag is not visible. It is hard to explain but I definitely feel the lag but my frame rate remains high.”

Have you tried using the machine with a high refresh rate monitor as opposed to a tv with 50hz?

Feb 5, 2019

No I do not have a monitor with a higher refresh rate. I will try my best to describe it because the problem I am having will not show on video. The only thing you would notice is that my gameplay gets worse.when the lag starts.

So the main game I play is devil may cry 4. I am not sure how familiar you are with the game, but it is a hack and slash game that pretty much plays like a fighting game. I say this because there is a lot of comboing and canceling involved. This means a lot of precise inputs are required to play at the level that I do. So sometimes when I am playing it runs normally and I can play well consistently. But then out of nowhere it starts to feel off. The closest thing I can compare it to is input lag, but the latency test I ran did not detect any latency from any of my devices. So when there is lag I cannot jump cancel anymore and it is pretty much unplayable for me.
Could you please also check my original post again? I added some links to screenshots of some test results I got when I ran a few tests on my PC. Would like it if maybe someone could interpret them for me.

beruuce

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
The screenshots in your original post to me do not point to anything wrong with your system. Not sure if everyone agrees but i cannot see an issue with that.

The thing is you're running those tests, but the issue you're describing is when you're gaming, you mention your issue with Devil May Cry 4 above. I'm assuming you're not experiencing any issues when using the machine for every day use?

I know you're saying that videoing may this may not display the issue, in terms of the input lag symtoms, but I think it would be worth running something like MSI afterburner / recording your expereince and display things like CPU usage, temperature etc so that we can rule out that there isn't an indication of hardware issue. I know you mention that you did this above, but sometimes the changes are quite sudden and you may not notice the functuations in temperature, fps etc.

Have you also checked your event viewer at the time periods for when this happens? As soon as this issue occurs, look at the time and have a look in event viewer to see if this issue is happening.

You mention the issue with DMC 4, is the issue the same across all the DMC games you own? Or is this issue happening on all games including rocket league etc? Have you noticed any patterns with where this happens in any of games, particular levels, areas of the map for example.

Also what are the settings you are running for DMC 4 could you provide those?

Feb 5, 2019
I apologize for the long hiatus. I decided to return the last PC. All 3 of those computers had been from the same store so I decided to try purchasing one from somewhere else. But as you might have guessed this new pc has the same problem but I have come to a conclusion. First I will list the specs:

Current PC (#4):
CPU intel core i5 8400
GPU nvidia geforce gtx 1050ti 4GB
MOBO Acer nitro n50-600
RAM 8 GB
300W psu (don't know the brand)
Windows 10 home version 1703 (downgraded)

As I said there is still lag, but I have noticed that the lag had been worsening over time with all the PCs I had purchased. It looks like the more programs I instal the worse the lag gets. A couple weeks ago I downloaded FL Studio 20 and the lag while gaming got much worse. I decided to restart windows and downgrade my OS after that. That made the lag return back to "normal". I decided not to install anything else for a while, but yesterday I got Avast antivirus. And again today the lag got much worse so I uninstalled the program and restarted my computer. And this made it return to its "normal" state again. It is not normal for my PCs to perform worse after installing safe virus free programs so i don't know what could be causing this issue. Are all these computers just bad? Is it Windows 10?

Feb 5, 2019
I apologize for the long hiatus. I decided to return the last PC. All 3 of those computers had been from the same store so I decided to try purchasing one from somewhere else. But as you might have guessed this new pc has the same problem but I have come to a conclusion. First I will list the specs:

Current PC (#4):
CPU intel core i5 8400
GPU nvidia geforce gtx 1050ti 4GB
MOBO Acer nitro n50-600
RAM 8 GB
300W psu (don't know the brand)
Windows 10 home version 1703 (downgraded)

As I said there is still lag, but I have noticed that the lag had been worsening over time with all the PCs I had purchased. It looks like the more programs I instal the worse the lag gets. A couple weeks ago I downloaded FL Studio 20 and the lag while gaming got much worse. I decided to restart windows and downgrade my OS after that. That made the lag return back to "normal". I decided not to install anything else for a while, but yesterday I got Avast antivirus. And again today the lag got much worse so I uninstalled the program and restarted my computer. And this made it return to its "normal" state again. It is not normal for my PCs to perform worse after installing safe virus free programs so i don't know what could be causing this issue. Are all these computers just bad? Is it Windows 10?