Question Games silently crash to Desktop - - - CTD PSU or RAM ?

just-user

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
I Assembled My Build Since 2017 With a very weak GPU and i had no issues with it.
Just Upgraded My GPU and Games Crash to Desktop at random it has no specific time it could be 2 hours less or more.
it only rarely gives an error like "Access Violation c0000005"
or
"The instruction at 0x0000xxxxxxxxxxxx referenced memory at 0x0000xxxxxxxxxxxx.. The memory could not be read"

• Tested My CPU through Cinebench and Handbrake and it looks Fine.
  • Tested My GPU through gaming for long hours and looks like i can't trigger a single crash in Vulkan Games and Modern Directx 11 titles like God of War.
  • Tested my RAMS overnight and nothing.
Sometimes Lowering Game Preset from Highest to Average seems to Make It More Stable.
Posted my HWinfo Log file to someone on ........ Forums and he told me My PSU isn't really the best but it works for my Build.

So I'm Really Confused what could be the issue here?
I'm On Tight Budget and can't afford to Upgrade My PC For At least another 2 More Years.

My Specs:
Mobo: MSI B350m Bazooka (Bios 7A38v1H). i use this bios because any newer version makes my PC unstable. they probably removed Ryzen 1600x Support Silently.
CPU: Ryzen 1600x @ stock.
RAMS: 1x16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200mhz @ stock.
GPU: EVGA RTX 3060TI.
PSU: XFX 650S Bronze
SSD: N/A.
HDD: Western Digital 2TB Gold.

Last edited:

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
It could be a problem with the GPU drivers. Installing a new card may have caused some sort of driver conflict.
I had a problem with games suddenly crashing on me, and I tried using Display Driver Uninstaller to do a deep-clean of all video drivers, then installed the latest one. Just a shot in the dark, but with any luck maybe it could help you too.
You have to disconnect your internet or disable Windows update, then run DDU in safe mode. I can't remember the step-by-step instructions off the top of my head. I followed JayzTwoCents' tutorial in this video:

just-user

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
It could be a problem with the GPU drivers. Installing a new card may have caused some sort of driver conflict.
I had a problem with games suddenly crashing on me, and I tried using Display Driver Uninstaller to do a deep-clean of all video drivers, then installed the latest one. Just a shot in the dark, but with any luck maybe it could help you too.
You have to disconnect your internet or disable Windows update, then run DDU in safe mode. I can't remember the step-by-step instructions off the top of my head. I followed JayzTwoCents' tutorial in this video:

sorry i forgot to mention that i already used DDU too and it made no difference what could be the issue?

just-user

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
You on latest chipset driver for the motherboard?
Yes.
Okay here is the thing Yesterday i cleaned my pcie 8-Pin power connector with contact cleaner because someone told me it could be oxidants problem
i played for like 4 Hours Straight on the Highest Preset then crash to desktop again.
Untitled.png

the issue here is i can't trigger this CTD on purpose which makes it random and very hard to diagnose which is really frustrating.
most of times it give Errors Relate to memory and rarely it gives nothing in reliability reports.

just-user

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Okay another Update I Ran Unigine heaven for 5 Hours Straight Directx11 @1080p Extreme Profile Ultra Quality Preset no Crashes at all
Crashes only Happen in some games what that supposed to mean?

Last edited:

just-user

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
You can use MSI Afterburner to reduce the power limit to the graphics card. This will cause it to boost to a lower frequency and use less power. See if the crashes still happen.
what that has to do with anything?
playing at lowest preset made crashes go away however as you saw up there some specific games can run for 3.5 or 4 Hours straight on highest preset possible and it ends with app crash.
how come i ran Unigine heaven for 5 hours straight under intensive circumstances and it passed like there is nothing wrong?
i'm just trying to figure out why my PC is behaving this way it doesn't make any sense. i mean if something was wrong Unigine heaven should have crashed too right?

playing at lowest preset made crashes go away however as you saw up there some specific games can run for 3.5 or 4 Hours straight on highest preset possible and it ends with app crash.
how come i ran Unigine heaven for 5 hours straight under intensive circumstances and it passed like there is nothing wrong?
i'm just trying to figure out why my PC is behaving this way it doesn't make any sense. i mean if something was wrong Unigine heaven should have crashed too right?
You don't think your graphics card has anything to do with the crashes? Or the demands it makes on your power supply whilst running different loads? It sounds to me like your power supply isn't up to scratch if reducing the graphics settings makes the crashes go away.

Video cards can cause sudden spikes in power usage, well beyond their TBP rating, for a short period of time. If your power supply can't handle these transient spikes, then it can lead to stability and reliability issues.

Unigine Heaven is also a rather outdated utility to test for stability on modern hardware. It's like saying you can run CS:GO forever. You should at least use Superposition or something like the Time Spy Stress Test.