Question Games stutter after BIOS update, I suspect memory issues ?

tralph3

Commendable
Feb 20, 2020
Hi, before anything, system specs:

• CPU/GPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G (integrated Vega 11 graphics)
  • Memory: 2x8GB DDR4@3200MHz (Manufacturer: Patriot)
  • Mother: Asus Prime A320M-K
  • More detailed system info
So here's the thing. I've been playing games on this computer for about a year now, and I've been pretty happy. Games perform really well for what it is, and everything works smoothly. Buuuuuut I have noticed some weird things with memory in this time.

For starters, I used the PC for about two weeks at the stock speeds of 2133MHz because I didn't realize it. No big deal. These RAM sticks support up to 3733MHz. So I went into the BIOS, turned on the DOCP Standard option which set the sticks to their rated 3733MHz speeds, and rebooted. The PC didn't post after that. I managed to fix it by unplugging the power cord, holding the power button for a few seconds to do a power cycle, and rebooting again. The BIOS setting got reset. I chose DOCP which sets them to 3200MHz (which is apparently the max speed this mother supports), and it worked this time.

Well, games did see a performance improvement, but they had a bit of a stutter. It was annoying, but I kinda forgot about it after a while, and it kinda went away on its own for some reason. After using it for a few days, games were performing better and not stuttering. Definitely weird, but I'm not complaining.

So I used the PC with this configuration for a while, until I decided to do a BIOS update. I did it, realized my BIOS settings got reset, and now games stutter again all of the sudden, but worse. Games I could comfortably play before locked at 60FPS now perform worse, and stutter. Games like GTA V for instance used to be locked at 60FPS, but now they stutter while driving all the god damn time, and they are some heavy stutters. Audio cuts out too. Games like Resident Evil Remake (2 and 3) also suffered. They were constant 60 before, and now they feel very sluggish. They don't stutter, but the FPS counter reports 60FPS, but the game feels to run much worse than that. This didn't happen before. Then other lighter games like Katamari Damacy Reroll also face issues. As the others, it used to run perfectly fine before, and now it drops FPS in certain moments. Then there's other games like Dark Souls PTDE that don't have problems at all. It works just like before, constant 30FPS (why cap FPS from soft), no drops, no stutters.

I tried reinstalling the games and recompiling their shader chaches to see if that made any difference. It did not. I guess my last resort is reinstalling the whole OS and see if that helps, but I really don't know.

Does anyone know how could I even diagnose this? I guess with this being Linux and not Windows less people are gonna know how to help, but I'd really appreciate any input. I'm considering maybe upgrading the motherboard so I can get the most out of the RAM sticks, but maybe even the sticks themselves are faulty, I don't know.

EDIT: Well, I enabled resizable BAR in the BIOS and things seem to be running a lot better. Most of the stuttering is gone, and games perform more or less like I expect. Kinda lame that I found the solution just after posting... I swear it happens everytime. Anyway, I don't remember having resizable BAR enabled before, so I don't know why I'd need it now. Could there still be something crippling performance?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
These RAM sticks support up to 3733MHz.
Can you please pass on a link to the ram kit you're working with? You state enabling D.O.C.P, try manually inputting the timings, frequency and the voltage as shown on the sticker of the ram kit.

Specs don't include the make and model of your chassis, the PSU and the airflow setup inside said case. Please include them, alongside your ambient room air temps.

tralph3

Commendable
Feb 20, 2020
I do not have all that data. Temps aren't an issue tho, this PC doesn't consume much and it never got past 70°C. My PSU is a Gamemax Vp-500w 80 plus bronze certified. I did not find any information regarding timings for the RAM on the box, here's all there is to it:
EDIT: Sorry, I see you mean to look for the sticker on the ramstick. Well, this is all it has: View: https://imgur.com/RAtyOyu

The BIOS has already set the voltage to 1.35, so idk what else to do on that front.
View: https://imgur.com/a/kQpn3hs

Last edited: