[SOLVED] games suddenly run very poorly but they worked fine a while ago

Dec 6, 2021
Hello, as the title says pc perfomance has suddenly got worse for me
games like COD Warzone and gta online ran fine (warzone at 40-50fps and gta online at 50-60fps)around a week ago but now they freeze and stutter a lot (other heavy games like battlefield 1 and need for speed heat seem to work fine)
i have tried deep cleaning my pc with a vacuum cleaner and a cloth, i have cleaned the graphics card, the fans, the wires, the ram cards, etc. and they still ran poorly (warzone has 25 fps in main menu and takes a lot of time to load the maps and lags a lot when it loads and gta online works fine but stutters and freezes every 5 seconds which makes it pretty much unplayable), i have went into my BIOS and making the settings default and when that didn't work i set the power saving option to gaming mode or whatever and it still had no change whatsoever. i checked task manager and my cpu is at around 40%, ram memory at 80-95% and gpu at 50%
if more details are needed i'll happily answer.

my specs are:
intel i7 4790
asus h97m
8 gb ddr3
rx 570
western digital 1tb hdd
samsung 350gb ssd

Solution
My thought is that there a a combination of things that are combining into problems:

1) PSU: Wattage likely too low as a starter and probably the PSU is beginning to falter and fail with age.

2) HDD: Slow to begin with but that gets worse as the drive fills up. I prefer to keep all of my drives limited to 70-80% of full capacity. (That is just me and others use other guidelines.)

You have less than 10% space available and the files that are currently stored fon the HDD are likely fragmented. And fragmentation generally gets worse as the drive fills up. Especially if there is no regular drive management to delete old files and defragment the HDD. Run Windows Disk Cleanup. Do be sure that all important files are...
include power supply make & model plus time in use.

also include the temperatures your CPU & GPU are reaching when playing these games.
now they freeze and stutter a lot (other heavy games like battlefield 1 and need for speed heat seem to work fine)
is it only online sessions giving you this issue or are you playing all four games with multiplayer options?
have you attempted reinstalling either of the games that are showing issue?
i set the power saving option to gaming mode or whatever
you should keep your Power Plan profile on High Performance.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy use for gaming, video editing, bit-mining?

Disk drives: how full?

Take a look in Resource Monitor: first before gaming and then while gaming.

Determine what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

Dec 6, 2021
hello, i opened my pc case and couldn't check the exact power supply model because it was pushed in tight with other parts but i could read that it said 380W and that it was an Antec psu, i've had the entire pc for a year and 2 months
Heavy use for gaming, video editing, bit-mining?
i mainly play games that are around 1998-2012 and barely play any new games apart from a few exceptions, i don't do video editing and don't mine at all
resource monitor says that cpu usage is at 40-42 c* when not playing and jumps to 78-80 while in warzone menu and gpu temperature is at a 37-40 regardless of playing or not playing
i have 72.8gb free disc space out of 998 gb on where i keep all of my games

Dec 6, 2021
include power supply make & model plus time in use.

also include the temperatures your CPU & GPU are reaching when playing these games.
these are answered in another message

i only played cod warzone and gta online in multiplayer but others i play in singleplayer
if it helps at all one day my nat type got changed to strict without any prior tempering but even then these games worked fine, only recently they started lagging

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that there a a combination of things that are combining into problems:

1) PSU: Wattage likely too low as a starter and probably the PSU is beginning to falter and fail with age.

2) HDD: Slow to begin with but that gets worse as the drive fills up. I prefer to keep all of my drives limited to 70-80% of full capacity. (That is just me and others use other guidelines.)

You have less than 10% space available and the files that are currently stored fon the HDD are likely fragmented. And fragmentation generally gets worse as the drive fills up. Especially if there is no regular drive management to delete old files and defragment the HDD. Run Windows Disk Cleanup. Do be sure that all important files are indeed backed up off system at least 2x. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

How full is the SSD? Likewise the SSD should be cleaned of old files. SSDs are not to be de-fragmented.

3) When you did the cleaning did you check to ensure that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers were fully and firmly seated? They all do work loose over time so re-seating everything might help a bit.

[Note: use canned air for cleaning. Not a vacuum cleaner. Vacuums can create electrostatic discharges that, in turn, can damage components. And it is all too easy to catch somewhere and break things, snag wires, scratch PCB's. ]

4) Reference "ram memory at 80-95% ": If at all possible increase RAM by adding more modules and/or using higher capacity modules. Check the motherboard's documentation to determine the supported RAM configurations. Also check the Page file setting. Let Windows manage the Page File and ensure that the page file is hosted on the faster SSD.

Solution
Dec 6, 2021

You have less than 10% space available and the files that are currently stored fon the HDD are likely fragmented. And fragmentation generally gets worse as the drive fills up. Especially if there is no regular drive management to delete old files and defragment the HDD. Run Windows Disk Cleanup. Do be sure that all important files are indeed backed up off system at least 2x. Verify that the backups are recoverable and readable.

How full is the SSD? Likewise the SSD should be cleaned of old files. SSDs are not to be de-fragmented.

3) When you did the cleaning did you check to ensure that all cards, connectors, RAM, and jumpers were fully and firmly seated? They all do work loose over time so re-seating everything might help a bit.

[Note: use canned air for cleaning. Not a vacuum cleaner. Vacuums can create electrostatic discharges that, in turn, can damage components. And it is all too easy to catch somewhere and break things, snag wires, scratch PCB's. ]

4) Reference "ram memory at 80-95% ": If at all possible increase RAM by adding more modules and/or using higher capacity modules. Check the motherboard's documentation to determine the supported RAM configurations. Also check the Page file setting. Let Windows manage the Page File and ensure that the page file is hosted on the faster SSD.
Sorry for answering late, I have little free time
1)that's a shame since it's only been a year, will a 500w Psu be enough considering I'm on a tight budget?
2)I have deleted unnecessary files and did the disc cleanup, will test tomorrow. Have around 300 gb free now
The ssd has 150gb free of 350gb
3)I have checked if connectors are tucked in tightly and have looked at the system tab and everything is okay, though I did not know cleaning it with a vacuum was bad, will use canned air in the future
4) i will likely buy more memory sticks since I have 2 slots free (2x 4gb corsair ddr3) but though it seems odd to buy more sticks since games worked fine on them not too long ago

Ralston18

Titan
Key question being is 500 watts enough?

Reference the following link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Not with the intent of immediately going out and purchasing a new PSU.

Objective being to use 2 or 3 of the offered calculators to size the required PSU wattage.

Also do your own manual total adding up each device. If a device has a wattage range use the high wattage value.

For GPU's if a minimum wattage PSU is listed then I use that value. Which may be a bit much sometimes but does allow room for"error" and growth.

Budget permitting.

And read the review - just in case.....