[SOLVED] Games taking 1 minute to load

Apr 23, 2020
Hello,

I have a Seagate barracuda 1TB 7200RPM and I notice that my games are taking 1 minute to load and after I close it and reopen the same game it takes 25-30 seconds and I also notice some microstutters in my games, I have already posted my first thread where I have microstutter issues too, you can also check that. Is my harddrive faulty ??

Solution
Sequential read looks normal to me for a HDD.
A sata ssd will be some 2x faster, and a nvme ssd may be 10-15x faster in sequential performance.

But, the real benefit of a ssd is in the reduced latency of random operations which is some 90% of windows activity.
That will be perhaps 40x faster with little difference between sata or pcie operations.
Apr 23, 2020
It may just need to be defragmented. To know if the drive is faulty or not you need to run Seatools for Windows on the drive.
Hello RealBeast

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes I have defragmented the HDD and I run seatools for windows too, I tried the SMART test and Fix all long, sadly it didn't reduce the loading time at first when I open the game, if I close the game and reopen it, it opens it in 25-30 seconds, if I restart my system and open the game, it takes approximately 1 mins 11 seconds, any tips to load games in 25-40 seconds please ??

Replace the HDD with a ssd; you will solve your problem.
A 1tb samsung 860 QVO costs about. $130.
Conversion of a windows drive is trivial using the samsung ssd migration app.

Are you multitasking while gaming?
If you have insufficient ram, it can cause all sorts of performance problems.

Reactions: Aaron956
Apr 23, 2020
Replace the HDD with a ssd; you will solve your problem.
A 1tb samsung 860 QVO costs about. $130.
Conversion of a windows drive is trivial using the samsung ssd migration app.

Are you multitasking while gaming?
If you have insufficient ram, it can cause all sorts of performance problems.
Hello geofelt,

Thanks for your reply, no I am not multitasking when gaming, I do multitasking when I want to stream games on Twitch and YouTube, I have a 16gb ram (2x8) and the ram usage won't go above 60%, and can I get a 500gb ssd and install OS on windows and play games on HDD ?, Will it be helpful.

How much space is used on your windows C drive?
If a 500gb ssd will hold your used portion, the conversion is trivial.
Buy a samsung 860 ssd of whatever capacity you need to comfortably hold what is used on the HDD.
Run the samsung ssd migration app to move everything to the new ssd.
When done, just switch the sata cables so you boot from the new ssd.
Later, you can do what you want with the old HDD. Use it, reformat, it or whatever.
I might suggest repurposing as an external backup drive.
Here is the app and manual:

A sata ssd will be some 2x faster, and a nvme ssd may be 10-15x faster in sequential performance.

But, the real benefit of a ssd is in the reduced latency of random operations which is some 90% of windows activity.
That will be perhaps 40x faster with little difference between sata or pcie operations.

Reactions: Aaron956
Solution
Apr 23, 2020

Oh man thank you so much
I'll get an ssd after the quarantine is over
Thank you so much