Games use up 100% of the CPU

Le Jia Hong

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Hey guys. I've been playing tf2 for quite a while now (2 years) but recently i've been noticing that the framerate drops to below 40 after about 15-30 minutes of gameplay. I haven't encountered this problem in the past two years of playing this game but it seems that my cpu will suddenly fill up to 100%. I alt-tab to my task manager and then the cpu usage goes down to about 20% but all the usage is coming from the game itself.

I also play Ghost Recon Phantoms and am also experiencing fps problems. The game runs at a nice 60fps then suddenly drops straight down to 8-10 fps after 15-30 minutes of gameplay. I've tried clearing unwanted proccesses, reinstalling game, game boosters and many others but they all fail to fix this framedrop problem...

Please help!

Solution
I had a laptop that seemed fine too then things started to run hot. I had to get a laptop cooling pad. The other solution would have been to try to do some maintenance myself.

Is the laptop still under warranty?

Le Jia Hong

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I cleaned my fan a few weeks ago to try and solve this problem it doesn't seem to have helped and yes i do suspect that the cpu is overheating. I will try and find a fan that can keep my laptop from overheating! Thanks!

Le Jia Hong

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
I am just baffled by how much the frames drop tho...i used to play tf2 for endless hours and the framerate never dropped on me...so unless my fans have been damaged, i don't know why i am experiencing this

the problem is when it overheats the cpu decreases frequency to limit the heat it generates (usually to less than 50% of it's rated speed that 1.9ghz cpu drops to 800mhz or something like that) and that can easily account for the drop in fps. take into account that in some laptops there's one fan for both the cpu and gpu and that could be getting lower frequencies too so another limiting factor on the fps...

as said above, a cooling pad is the quickest fix usually drops 10-15C and if it doesn't fix it take it to warranty/maintenance shop...

Le Jia Hong

Reputable
Apr 25, 2014
Alrighty. Thank you Laviniuc for explaining what happens :) appreciate it. Thanks Envy too. :) Will get back to you guys if i encounter any more problems. My cooling pad should be here by next month! Thanks guys appreciate the response!