GameStick Delayed Again, Now Launching October 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
there seems to be a sad trend forming with crowd funded technology, I am glad I havent jumped on the bandwagon yet. hope for all the backers it pans out well

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
Is there some reason these "consoles" are unable to take advantage of the Play Store? I wouldn't mind having something like this if it meant I could play the games I've already purchased on it. I'm tired of having to MHL my S3 to my TV.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

Licensing fees. Companies that make Android products have to get into a contract with Google and pay a fee to include Play Store in their devices. That's why also some cheapo chinese tablets don't have it. It would raise cost.

I have heard though, that there is a way to sideload the Play store app, but I don't know how.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

I hope you can sideload the Play Store because otherwise developer support is going to be crippled. It's also a little absurd that they can't strike an agreement with Google to get the Play Store on this. They hit $650K in funding off of a $100K goal and will only make more money once they start selling these in stores. They have no angel investors to pay back so they'll be sitting on a pile of money. If they can't work out a deal with Google to get even better app support on this thing then it might as well be dead in the water.

ricky_d

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
Nice little thing. This is like a "sidearm" console, so it's a good thing it's small. Hope it will have the horse powers for some action though.

modsuperstar

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
@JD88 It's because these consoles want monetization from their stores. The MOJO is going to have the play store, but it's also going to be significantly higher priced. Their business model simply wouldn't work if they were selling a $99 console and not getting a cut of app sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.