Gaming at 1440p, a few questions from a builder!

Candy_Flip

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm new to Tom's but I've seen nothing but a fantastic community. Well let's get started, I have completed my computer build running this: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/cmckay2014/saved/tprWGX
(I know my power supply is overkill)

This is my first build in a very long time after catastrophic failure of my old build due to house flooding :[

As you can see I've whittled it down to just options for monitors. I really cannot find what best fits my needs/ wants for my build. As a casual FPS player the refresh rates don't need to be in the 120s, but I am an avid RPG player and like to invest a lot of time in Skyrim specifically. In your opinion what monitor can best fit my build and play style? Also, how do refresh rates affect my gpu's ability to produce 60+ framerates?

I'm getting lost in all this research of finding "input lag this, and response time that" what does it all really mean and what should I really be placing value on?

In the end my goal is to run my RPG type games like Skyrim, Witcher 3 etc at 1440p with a nice high framerate and have the best visual experience paired with smooth gameplay.

Thanks guys!

-Lone-

Admirable
Your build looks good, very nice monitors. Since you're a casual gamer, you should invest in finding the best picture quality possible like 1440p as you've already done and into IPS monitors. They will give you the best picture quality and game experience right now. You'll need to get more GPUs to play 4k at ultra settings, but right now your build is more than enough to play 1440p ultra. As for response time, you should stick with 1-5 ms, that will be best for you, if that's too high, it may take the monitor to load slower, pretty much to respond as it describes. Now for the refresh rates, some people like to get 120-144Hz refresh rate monitors because they don't want to get screen tearing when they reach beyond 60 fps. If your fps is more than your display's refresh rate, you will see horizontal tearings. So with 144Hz, you can get up to 140+ fps without tearing. I had that issue with Crysis 3, I was playing 4k on ultra settings, my v sync was off, my fps was at 90's and I was getting screen tearing when I turn, my TV's refresh is only at 60Hz, so that's how my tearing began. I had to add some anti aliasing to get my fps lower to 60s so that it matches my TV's refresh rate. With the Asus Swift that you have, you can gain both great picture quality and up to 120+ fps without tearing, the best gaming experience you can get if you want to be good at everything.

Candy_Flip

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Sorry I just updated my thread, but the actual build is this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/cmckay2014/saved/tprWGX

I'll change my thread right now too.

But if you had said build would you pick the Asus PB278Q? or the Asus SWIFT?

Again sorry for the incorrect post

-Lone-

Admirable

It is still a very good build, I'd still go for the Swift because it is 1440p, 144Hz, and it has g sync, very good qualities to have for gaming.

Candy_Flip

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

Awesome, thank again for the help!!