Gaming At 3840x2160: Is Your PC Ready For A 4K Display?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3840 is the normal 16:9 ratio for TVs and monitors. 4096 is the film industry's slightly wider resolution that's closer to the 1.85:1 ratio they often use.

pantera989

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

Yes, and the first is called UHD, and the second is called 4k.

Both are in the "4K" category. The former is called 4K UHD and the latter is 4K DCI ( Digital Cinema Initiatives. ) You'll find the DCI resolution much less common, apart from high-end projectors perhaps. Looking around just now, I only see a handful of DCI monitors even available ( and all are $17,000 and up. ) Newegg and Amazon don't even list anything DCI resolution.

I think you can forgive calling these "4K" displays. It's hard enough for me to think of someone dropping $3000 on a UHD monitor just for gaming, let alone six times that amount just for a 7% larger screen.

pantera989

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

Hence why I was very confused when it had the title "4k gaming"

4k is a spec owned and created by DCI and has nothing to do with UHD, it's also not jsut a resolution difference, it's an encoding difference to:

True 4K is the resolution specified by the DCI (Digital Cinema Initiative) commercial standard. This is another area where UHD and 4K differ. Much like Blu-ray is the 1080p standard for encoding and presentation, 4K has its own set of standards that the DCI dictates. These standards are high end, resulting in exemplary image quality. While it isn't totally clear yet what kind of video encoding standards the new UHD video format will use, all rumors point to sub-par encoding. DCI 4K uses JPEG2000 video compression, up to 250Mbps video bitrate, 12-bit 4:4:4 video, and a much wider color gamut.

I think you are being confused with the 4K video format that Cinema Industry uses.
Here this review is not about formats, but its about resolutions.
So straight from wiki:

4K resolution is a generic term for display devices or content having horizontal resolution on the order of 4,000 pixels.

Several 4K resolutions exist in the fields of digital television and digital cinematography. In the movie projection industry, Digital Cinema Initiatives is the dominant 4K standard.

The television industry has adopted ultra high definition television as its 4K standard. As of 2013, some UHDTV models are available to general consumers for under $1000. However, due to lack of available content, 4K television has yet to achieve mass market appeal. Using horizontal resolution to characterize the technology marks a switch from the previous generation, high definition television, which categorized media according to vertical resolution (1080i, 720p, 480p, etc.). The top-end regular HDTV format, 1080p, qualifies as 2K resolution, having a horizontal resolution of 1920 pixels, with a vertical resolution of 1080 pixels.

Status
Not open for further replies.