News Gaming Console on a Stick to Feature Dual Raspberry Pi Chips

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
How much RAM does each chip have? The decision to use 2x seems weird to me:
  1. Only seems to help things that aren't fast enough to be usable/good on 1, but still fast enough to be usable/good on 2. That's actually a fairly narrow window, in computational terms, since it operates on more of an exponential scale.
  2. Adds cost, pushing the solution ever closer to a full 2 GB Pi v4. Might've been more interesting just to fit one of those in a stick @ reduced clock speeds.
Aside from retro and super old emulated games, I don't imagine a lot of demand for gaming on this. It's one thing to live with lots of limitations, when you're tied to a handheld form factor, but as soon as you have a monitor-pluggable device I think small size becomes an unnecessary liability and rarely worth the performance tradeoffs.

That said, I have no sense of the gaming scene for these things, so feel free to correct me if I'm way off base.

frogr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Two frame buffers can prevent video tearing while updating the frame and also doubles the "bandwidth"" to the frame buffer

theguyuk

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2012
In the old days a z80 often provided graphics in arcades machines so nothing new there. You could just add a Bluetooth controller to your old smartphone. Each time you upgrade your smartphone you get a new handheld...