Gaming Consoles a Goldmine for More Than Just Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
So these online streaming HD contents won't have the bitrates/quality of blu-ray disc? If they are the same quality, 250GB means 5~10 movies a month with extra contents.

G

Yeah, ISP caps are definately going to hurt this in some areas. My ISP is capped at 20GB per month for their "premium" service and only 10GB for their basic service. With a lack of ISP choice I'm not even going to be able to think about using any forum of mass digitial distribution for a long time to come.

scurvywombat

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Well, the more these services are available it will increase the demand for higher bandwidth caps, and ISPs will offer more "premium services" to meet that demand... but that might take a while. At least Comcast capped mine at only 250.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Ive been downloading 300+gb/mo for the last year or so, and Ive never run into a problem with Comcast. Hell, I downloaded almost 400gb just last week alone.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]scurvywombat[/nom]Well, the more these services are available it will increase the demand for higher bandwidth caps, and ISPs will offer more "premium services" to meet that demand... but that might take a while. At least Comcast capped mine at only 250.[/citation]

That's a little naive. The whole idea that the "free market" will provide customers what they want goes completely out the window when there is inadequate competition.

Also, the article states "This will cut back on peer-to-peer activity, but I don’t think it will impact these legitimate services." So peer to peer activity is not a legitimate use of bandwidth?

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]So these online streaming HD contents won't have the bitrates/quality of blu-ray disc? If they are the same quality, 250GB means 5~10 movies a month with extra contents.[/citation]
Can you really SEE the difference in quality between a blue-ray disc in your player and streaming content on your PC monitor?

Given a 40"+ HD panel im sure you could... but not everyone has their PC connected to such things.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]kittle[/nom]Can you really SEE the difference in quality between a blue-ray disc in your player and streaming content on your PC monitor?Given a 40"+ HD panel im sure you could... but not everyone has their PC connected to such things.[/citation]
The problem is paying the same for less; no physical disc, lesser quality and you might incite the wrath of you ISP.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I wish I had a 250gb cap, Rogers in Canada puts the cap at 60GB for the mainstream service, and 95GB for their ultimate service

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]invlem[/nom]I wish I had a 250gb cap, Rogers in Canada puts the cap at 60GB for the mainstream service, and 95GB for their ultimate service[/citation]

I'm with Shaw (which is pretty much the same as Rogers and has a 60GB cap) and I have used probably 500+ GB in a month before and they've never said anything to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.