Question Gaming Desk/ Furniture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pez

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Hi all.

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this, but, I looked at the other forums, and even though there's one called "PC Gaming", this is not about gaming itself. This sub-forum deals with "Peripherals", and well............

The peripheral I'm referring to is a piece of furniture, a "gaming" desk. I did some perusing on Amazon.com. There are many, many to choose from. A couple of the popular names I noticed were "Furmax" and "Vitesse".

With Vitesse, I was looking at this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JTHFFM...1-2-9e67e56a-6f64-441f-a281-df67fc737124&th=1

Yes, it's gotten over 4-stars in its review ratings. But, as I'm sure many of you know, whether it's Amazon or elsewhere, you take some reviews with a grain of salt (positive or negative), and that also that there will be "paid shills" who pad out the positive reviews.

With reviews, sometimes I like to look at the lowest rated only (1-star) to see specifically what they're finding fault with. Well, whether it was this Vitesse desk, or the Furmax brand I mentioned, I noticed some commonalities.

So, I looked up the web site and contact information for the Vitesse company and wrote to them, telling them I saw their product being sold through Amazon's web site; these were the common items of concern I wrote to them about (the "negatives" that came up the most frequently in reviews):

- The Assembly instructions/ directions that come with the desk are not clear or precise and can be difficult to figure out
- The main part of the desk, the flat area where you would put your monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc., is technically two pieces, not one long piece (as in the 63-inch desk), and that when put together to form the one long desk area, that it does not come together in a level manner, that one side is slightly higher than the other
- That when joining pieces together, the pieces that have pre-drilled holes do not align properly to be able to smoothly put the nuts/ bolts through

Vitesse wrote back to me, and this was their reply:

"Hello
You can refer to the recent comments to buy the product, you can rest assured to buy, if there are any problems with the product after delivery you can contact us, we will provide a perfect after-sales service.

Best wishes"

The syntax and grammar are a bit choppy, but basically, they did not answer any of my 3 concerns; they just want me to buy the desk, and then any concerns can be addressed later. Well, I was trying to be proactive, to see if any of the 3 concerns I listed had maybe already been taken care of (sometimes when companies receive feedback, they make fixes & adjustments in future editions). So I replied back to their reply and asked them to address my 3 concerns; they've never written back and have ignored me ever since.

I tried contacting Amazon Support to see if this Vitesse was a company that they wanted doing business though their Amazon site (a company not willing to answer 3 questions/ concerns of someone trying to be proactive before a purchase), and then ignoring any subsequent attempts at follow-up communication. However, Amazon Support was about as helpful as a screen door in a submarine.

The way I was looking at it was this: Since this was a desk we were talking about, this is a large item. Let's say that I did indeed run into issues with the assembly of the product, to the point where I wanted to return the product. You ever try to get an unpacked item like the pieces of an un-assembled desk back into its shipping box? Pretty close to impossible (for those of you a bit older like me, it would be akin to the old days of trying to re-fold a paper map and put it back into your glovebox in your car).

Any of you have any suggestions of gaming-style desks that you've had success with? No issues with assembly?

When I do searches on the 'net, I'm leery of certain results, because some results are really just marketing (propaganda) for certain brands, not an independent review of a supposed article on gaming desks.

Price-wise, I'm willing to go to the $200 dollar area.

Thanks for any suggestions;
Pez

Lutfij

Titan
Just to clarify one misconception just because a part or furniture has "gaming" added to it doesn't add anything of value to it apart from allowing brands to charge slightly more or more than what the base price would've been.

I know some people who work with sit stand desks(one's that can be adjusted mechanically). I also know people who work with desks like that made by Lian-Li where the system is part of the furniture built inside, underneath the table top.

One other thing to mention, is if you're unsure of anything, you should see if you can pay a visit to your local hardware/furniture store or perhaps even see if you have a person who can make a bespoke desk for you. Supporting the locals would be a good idea.

Reactions: Ralston18
Status
Not open for further replies.