Gaming Display

VinnyChase

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Currently I'm using a 2006 Panasonic professional plasma TV (model TH-42PH9UK) for gaming on my 360 & PS3. I hope to pick up a 50" plasma next year - for TV, movies, gaming - if the quality improves from the 2011 models. I am also considering purchasing a gaming monitor for online FPS, which is why I'm here. Are gaming monitors superior to current plasma TVs in regards to response time and input lag? I want to find out if I'll get improvement in play if I go with a monitor. Sometimes I wonder if I'm at a disadvantage with my 42" plasma or even if I had a current model.

Based on input here and research, if I decide to get a gaming monitor my budget is $300-$350. Something in the 23"-24" range. I would go with a 27" but I've seen that the price jumps quite a bit and I don't want to sacrifice quality for a larger screen. Appreciate suggestions on a monitor so that I can get down to a short list.

Monitors have a faster response time, on average, than TVs. As long as you keep the same resolution, you'd have a bit better experience with a regular monitor than a TV. Although a TN-based screen will not look as good as a good TV when it comes to color. For the price you are looking at though, you can get a pretty good IPS screen like a Dell UltraSharp.