[SOLVED] Gaming display

roieco

Reputable
Dec 4, 2020
hey all,
i currently use dell u2718q for games. how would you rank it?
(i don't currently play shooters much. i like RPGs like Skyrim, Cyberpunk, BG3, Dragon Age Inquisition etc.)
the rest of my system is detailed in my signature.

Solution
how critical is it for me to get a 144hz / better hdr display for this type of games?
Impossible to say, very personal choice. I would say 144Hz is nice to have for any gaming but definitely not essential to have an enjoyable experience on those types of games. A lot of people enjoy fast FPS games on 60Hz. As for HDR I am not sold on it, I am yet to see a good implementation of it. Having tried a few games on 2 different HDR monitors and an LG C9 OLED I came to the conclusion it often gives an over exposed or a sort of plastic shine to some surfaces. Added to this Win10 still has issues switching between HDR and non HDR apps I keep it switched off. Hopefully games will implement it better in the future.
how critical is it for me to get a 144hz / better hdr display for this type of games?
Impossible to say, very personal choice. I would say 144Hz is nice to have for any gaming but definitely not essential to have an enjoyable experience on those types of games. A lot of people enjoy fast FPS games on 60Hz. As for HDR I am not sold on it, I am yet to see a good implementation of it. Having tried a few games on 2 different HDR monitors and an LG C9 OLED I came to the conclusion it often gives an over exposed or a sort of plastic shine to some surfaces. Added to this Win10 still has issues switching between HDR and non HDR apps I keep it switched off. Hopefully games will implement it better in the future.

Solution