Gaming, Great Battery Life, Touchscreen Wanted...

Tslap

Honorable
Jun 30, 2017
Hi,

So I'm wanting a laptop that I would utilize as a student laptop for college, but that can also play a few games like Fortnite, Black Ops 3, Rocket league etc... I would love to be able to play these titles at relative ease. It's fine if it's in low settings for me - I just want it to be above 60 fps if possible.

For student uses, more specifically, I'm talking about being able to "potentially" detach the screen from the rest of the computer (and I know there's only one computer that really does this which are the surface books...), but so I would want to be able to use a digital pen to take notes and write on the screen (touchscreen). I would also want very good battery life so that I wouldn't have to carry around my charger with me while I'm at college and going to office hours and such.

I guess my question is, should I wait for the surface book 3 to come out? The surface book lineup is definitely appealing to me, but I'm a little unsure as to whether I should wait or not. It doesn't come out for a while - late 2019 it will I believe. Or should I just buy a regular laptop that has a decent GPU like a 1650 or 1050 ti or does anyone have any recommendations for laptops that fit my desires?

Thanks!

miknepa

Reputable
May 20, 2019
I'm sorry to say this but, i think youre dreaming (no offense)

I have never seen in my life an laptop which ticks all the boxes and exists. You are probably not going to want to do this but you could make an microATX / miniITX pc and carry it around with you: Yes i know its alot of money and yes i know you wont carry around input devices and a freaking monitor around with you but it could be a pretty good asset if you are in a place for an elongated period of time.

Or get a "gAmInG lApToP"
I have never used / had experience with one but ive heared they can have solid Gaming hardware and be portable with decent battery lives. They will probably cost a boatload of money but if youre really dedicated you might aswell go for one.

The detachable screen story is how you mentioned
(and I know there's only one computer that really does this which are the surface books...)

You could get a surface for 4000, wait a sec
FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS, WITH 4k YOU CAN GET YOURSELF I DONT KNOW A GODDAMN 2080TI WITH AN 8700K
let me cool down a sec
You could defenetly go for that, 16GB 'o' ram, GTX 1050, quad core CPU, but if youre on a regular budget thats not what you want (money wise)

I see your "struggle" with this and i can defenetly agree with your desires, but im afraid at this point in time we will have to wait and see

Need to decide if you want a portable 2-1 with good battery life of a system for gaming. There are a lot more than one 2-1 laptop aside from the Surface, but the Surface does have better specs than most. I don't much like the 2-1 systems, have worked with both Surface and Dell ones, both have more issues than good quality laptops.

I would just get a lower spec gaming laptop with a 1050Ti.

Tslap

Honorable
Jun 30, 2017
Hey none taken. I also have come to conclusion that I'm also dreaming because our technology just isn't there yet. Yeah I'm aware of building desktops. I've built 2 already and I'm already in the process of building another one (for $250!) Anyway, thanks for the reply. Of course no offense is taken. :)

I don't think I'm going to be carrying around a desktop though. At this point, I'm probably just going to buy a really good battery life computer and see where I can go with that as my basis. Having good specs is definitely a plus, but I definitely don't want to spend something like $4000 on a laptop. That's ridiculous. I hear you loud and clear. That kind of money can definitely buy you such amazing parts in a desktop.

All I'm trying to do is to be able to play couch party games and a few solo games possibly like...

Overwatch
Dead By Daylight
Stick Fight
Move or Die
Etc...

Again thanks for the response. I've already done a lot of research on this subject so I believe that you and I are on the same page.

I'm sorry to say this but, i think youre dreaming (no offense)

I have never seen in my life an laptop which ticks all the boxes and exists. You are probably not going to want to do this but you could make an microATX / miniITX pc and carry it around with you: Yes i know its alot of money and yes i know you wont carry around input devices and a freaking monitor around with you but it could be a pretty good asset if you are in a place for an elongated period of time.

Or get a "gAmInG lApToP"
I have never used / had experience with one but ive heared they can have solid Gaming hardware and be portable with decent battery lives. They will probably cost a boatload of money but if youre really dedicated you might aswell go for one.

The detachable screen story is how you mentioned

You could get a surface for 4000, wait a sec
FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS, WITH 4k YOU CAN GET YOURSELF I DONT KNOW A GODDAMN 2080TI WITH AN 8700K
let me cool down a sec
You could defenetly go for that, 16GB 'o' ram, GTX 1050, quad core CPU, but if youre on a regular budget thats not what you want (money wise)

I see your "struggle" with this and i can defenetly agree with your desires, but im afraid at this point in time we will have to wait and see

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Take a look at the HP Envy 13t. It's touchscreen and comes with a Ryzen-5 2500 APU which is decent for 1080 p e sports gaming. Because of solid state drive, boot up and loading of apps will be quick and battery should easily last for at least 5 hours. [You don't need to detach the screen]

Laptops with dedicated graphics might not have a good battery life.

Tslap

Honorable
Jun 30, 2017
Take a look at the HP Envy 13t. It's touchscreen and comes with a Ryzen-5 2500 APU which is decent for 1080 p e sports gaming. Because of solid state drive, boot up and loading of apps will be quick and battery should easily last for at least 5 hours. [You don't need to detach the screen]

Laptops with dedicated graphics might not have a good battery life.

I might've found it. Do you mean this? https://www.amazon.com/HP-Touchscre...t+ryzen&qid=1561333710&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Sagar_20

Distinguished
RAM upgradable up to 16 GB, and SSD up to as much as you want. You probably wouldn't need more than 1 TB of SSD.

Here is the 12 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD Model which could be better in the long run. AMD R5 graphics might take up to 2 GB of your system RAM.

Some detachable laptops exist but none is really meant for gaming and they mostly come with mediocre hardware. for example Microsoft Surface Pro 6, HP Envy x2, Acer Switch 7, etc.

Last edited: