Gaming Headset + soundcard question (audio noob)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
G

When I got the X-Fi Fatality FPS, it came with a front panel and a remote etc, for the short period that I actually got to use it (with all the lovely features you expect from creative, such as popping and crackling), I loved having my speakers plugged in the back and when I wanted my headset for gaming, I would just slot it in the front which auto muted the speakers.

Its a shame that creative support is so poor otherwise I wouldnt have to look for a new card. I know that if there was a card that came with a front panel it would probably cost a bit more than I have available anyway.

Seems like I will just have to get use to crawling under my desk. I will take the D2 as it seems to suite my needs, I see it has LED's so its easy to spot the right sockets. I dont see myself crawling under my desk very often as I prefer wearing my headphones anyway. Its a shame I dont see any soundcards that come with a front panel (maybe im looking in the wrong places) and I dont fancy buying a Creative card just to "try" and make use of it.

You never know, maybe I can get the onboard sound to work for my Speakers and then just keep the headphones in the card and switch them around (as suggested), its worth trying atleast and cant be any more complicated or as frustrating as dealing with creative drivers.

I believe going by the Soundcard choice that, unless I change my mind before Friday 30th of July (my pay day) my final selection is:

G9X (because im a claw gripper, yes I know im weird lol)
Xonar D2
Sennheiser PC360 (to get the most out of the soundcard and because of my preference to the large ear cups and over the headband)

Thank you again for all your help, both of you.

G

UNBELIEVBLE

I shut off my PC, preparing to head off to bed, decided I wanted to jump back on and check a few websites I have "neglected" after my windows drive failed and I had towait after buying a replacement drive.

as I log in... X-Fi was found, I stopped the windows auto driver install (as told to when I read up on installing the drivers earlier this week), Ive now installed the drivers successfully and the X-fi is showing under device manager properly. I am now in the process of auto updating using creatives software.

Back from the brink it may seem, whether its any good is a different story (and no I still hate creative, hehe) but at the very least it may save me from spending an extra £93 this month.

G

heh I think it sensed its days were numbered, it had a one way ticket booked the the black bin bag next to me!

Its all working now and i have noticed a distinct improvement on my music, as ive said before I did have it running fine in XP before I upgraded to Vista all those years ago (and now im on Win 7 64bit) so I had some months using the card. Songs I played back then sound how I remember them (or more like, I remember now what I was missing) and the new music ive picked up since then sounds so much better than it did with onboard and very noticable when wearing my old pair of headphones.

I do seem to get the popping and crackling sometimes but once im ingame its not even noticable, Im sure at some point down the line ill change my soundcard but I now have the convenience of my front panel for my headphones and microphone again.

Looking forward to getting my new headset to see what I will get out of them!

Lutfij

Titan
Im sure at some point down the line ill change my soundcard

when that time comes, you'll know what to look for :)

I posted this earlier :

The X-fi card now has better support since windows 7 has come into light, so finding drivers for the card aren't much of a hassle. It was only during vista and xp that you had conflicting/glitchy drivers

Good luck with the PC360 purchase, come to think of it, sennheiser and asus got together to make a sound card...check this out

This time i checked if the links worked :D