[SOLVED] gaming laptop not running like expected

professorblueprint

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2012
hello everyone i have got a gaming pc with mid range components and it doesn't seem to be keeping up with games like bf4, rust and a couple of other fps.
specs are:

CPU: intel i-5 7300hq
RAM: 8gb DDR4
GPU: nvidia gtx 1050TI 2GB

i have been playing bf4 and its gets around 70fps on low quality but im sure with the specs of the pc i should be able to run it in high or ultra with decent dps yet i get 30-50fps. i followed i guide to try optimise my pc so i can play rust with better fps which ill link here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQhfCXUm1ts
. the video told me to tweak some settings in intel and in the regedit so im not sure if that has added to the drop in fps. also when i first got the laptop and downloaded rust it was running decently at high settings at around 50-60fps, i started to get fps drops after about 2 weeks of playing and followed the guide in hopes to fix it. the guide fixed the stuttering but the fps is lower at around 30-40 fps and the graphics settings are pretty low. if anyone could give some advice i would very much appreciate the input. I know the specs aren't the best but with an older game like bf4 i would have thought it could run it well in atleast medium settings. Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you're new to laptops, make sure you take it out of Power Saving mode. That mode conserves battery power by throttling down the CPU and GPU speed, which of course affects game performance. Also, make sure it's running on the 1050 Ti and not the HD 630 graphics built in to the CPU.

Another thing that can be a problem with gaming on laptops is thermal throttling. A gaming laptop needs to be run cool enough to avoid this, and some laptops are better than others at handling heat. You can run MSI Afterburner and set the stats to show onscreen while playing.

In some cases it's advisable to use a laptop cooling pad if temps are an issue. They run roughly $15 - $35.
If you're new to laptops, make sure you take it out of Power Saving mode. That mode conserves battery power by throttling down the CPU and GPU speed, which of course affects game performance. Also, make sure it's running on the 1050 Ti and not the HD 630 graphics built in to the CPU.

Another thing that can be a problem with gaming on laptops is thermal throttling. A gaming laptop needs to be run cool enough to avoid this, and some laptops are better than others at handling heat. You can run MSI Afterburner and set the stats to show onscreen while playing.

In some cases it's advisable to use a laptop cooling pad if temps are an issue. They run roughly $15 - $35.

Solution
i ran the msi kombustor benchmark and the gpu was running at 70C and averaging about 18fps is that really bad?
Temp wise it's fine, FPS wise, not so good. Kombustor is not a good tool to use, and quite honestly, I don't even use Furmark anymore. It's best just to use any high resource usage game you have to judge temps and performance. It's called real world vs synthetic benching.

also how do i make sure the games are running on the GPU and how would i make them run on it?

I'd prefer you first answer whether you verified that you're not on Power Saving mode in your Power Plan options. https://www.lifewire.com/turn-off-power-saving-mode-4706502

Now go to NCP, select Manage 3D Settings, and from there you can either globally set it to run on the Nvidia GPU, or selectively by way of each program settings.

(This is the global method, whereby every game and app will run on the 1050 Ti. Note this can affect battery life.)
https://superuser.com/questions/484962/how-to-force-my-laptop-to-use-the-discrete-gpu

Reactions: professorblueprint