Gaming laptops have become unsafe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Some years back I bought a gaming laptop with an 6th gen I 7 and a 960m, and I felt is was time to move on; I bought a 9th gen I 7 with a 1660 video card. I got the system and wow has there been changes of coarse there was the improved performance but then there was what I was not expecting. Shame on me for not researching more about the product, after all most comments about them are HOT and LOUD. Some might think that those descriptions are open to ones opinion and to an extent it is. However after doing some research I have found that this particular laptop meet or exceeded some safety guidelines. I am also learning that laptops probably are not UL listed. Then in my experience the laptop manufacturer can not or will not produce a safety data sheet, you would think they should after all a laptop is not a component but it is a consumer product and it should met certain safety standards. While the heat will not damage the hardware they will not admit the possibility that the laptop can burn the user. So, it seems if you are not injured they do not care.

Why am I proposing they are unsafe?

My particular laptop produces large volumes of hot air. I could have measured a higher temperature but I stopped at 106. Temperatures of 111 will cause burns and here is a safety guide line. "In fact, one gets very uncomfortable and minimally functional at temperatures higher than 105°F (40.5°C). Various governmental bodies such as the US Labor Department’s OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) and Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) also stipulate limits on safe working / operating temperatures. https://www.electronics-cooling.com/2016/09/surface-temperatures-of-electronics-products-appliances-vs-wearables/"

Then, there is the noise. A common noise guideline is " the limit of safety before hearing loss is 70 decibels, reports the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency." My laptop is easily 80db plus.

Since the laptop manufacturer has not produced any product safety data sheets, I was left to research what was safety limits. Anyway I am putting this out there because unless more people are aware and request a product that is safe and gratifying to use it seems we will still get more of the same.

If anyone really cares I bought a Gigabyte Aorus. If anyone else will share what their systems produce it could help someone like myself that will be looking for a laptop that can not be also used as a bed warmer, hair dryer, or air pop corn maker.

Blackink

Distinguished
Use a laptop cooler pad to help keep the temps down a bit and if you feel comfortable tearing the laptop apart, it would be beneficial to get it cleaned out.
They have a tendency to get dust bunnies inside around the cooling fins restricting air circulation.
YouTube might be able to help with disassembly instructions.

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
"I could have measured a higher temperature but I stopped at 106 "

Measured where and how?
With a Infrared Thermometer at the the CPU fan exhaust port. I use this thermomter often too, it really helps me out when I cook because I need the help getting the proper temps.

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Use a laptop cooler pad to help keep the temps down a bit and if you feel comfortable tearing the laptop apart, it would be beneficial to get it cleaned out.
They have a tendency to get dust bunnies inside around the cooling fins restricting air circulation.
YouTube might be able to help with disassembly instructions.

This laptop is brand new, so there is no dust. I would have redone the thermal paste but the manufacturer did that on an RMA when they determined a fan was defective once. Also I was going to get a cooling pad but I decided against trying to make a bad product livable; however, I am all about getting a cooling pad to have made the product more enjoyable if it was borderline acceptable. This product has been so bad I have never got any use out of it. I would turn it on and then just open a ticket and put in the corner waiting on Esupport or even now it is at the service center for a third time.

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
And 6" away from that port?

You generally don't have that exhaust pointed directly at your naked sensitive bits.
LOL, yes generally does not have a laptop in your lap but I am left handed and I have long arms so while it may not be killing the little guys when it is on my lap it will get too uncomfortable on my hand where my mouse generally would be. I am also relieved I did not give this unit to my 9 year old to do home school over this COVID crisis, but then if I had pictures of burns from the exhaust could have caused would there be an admission it is just too hot?

USAFRet

Titan
"I could have measured a higher temperature but I stopped at 106. "

I just turned on my work laptop to check.
HP, i5-6300U, no GPU, 8GB RAM.

Doing nothing but starting up, I can read 91F at the exhaust port. ( i too have an IR thermometer).

You reading 106F under load is not the end of the world, or "dangerous" in any way.

EDIT: And now, up to 95F. Doing absolutely nothing but starting up.

Last edited:

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
"I could have measured a higher temperature but I stopped at 106. "

I just turned on my work laptop to check.
HP, i5-6300U, no GPU, 8GB RAM.

Doing nothing but starting up, I can read 91F at the exhaust port. ( i too have an IR thermometer).

You reading 106F under load is not the end of the world, or "dangerous" in any way.
Yes, a many CPU idle temps are over 100 degrees. To have cool exhaust temps would be hard to achieve. My major issue is the exhaust temp has achieved the limit of what is barely safe, If i ran a stress test to really put the unit under a load it would be hotter and it is not just the temperature of the exhaust but it is also the velocity and volume of air this machine produces. If the unit was not at the service center and I could measure the temps I think you might find it amazing just how hot is is 6" away.

Gaming laptops have become a safety concern as of late. Then what do you think about the noise it is louder than riding on an airplane on which I use noise cancelling headphones like all the other frequent travelers.

Blackink

Distinguished
This laptop is brand new, so there is no dust. I would have redone the thermal paste but the manufacturer did that on an RMA when they determined a fan was defective once. Also I was going to get a cooling pad but I decided against trying to make a bad product livable; however, I am all about getting a cooling pad to have made the product more enjoyable if it was borderline acceptable. This product has been so bad I have never got any use out of it. I would turn it on and then just open a ticket and put in the corner waiting on Esupport or even now it is at the service center for a third time.
Sounds like the laptop has been disassembled already for repairs. It's a very delicate matter to dissasemble a laptop and put it back together and if something is out of place even just a smigget, it could be the cause of your overheating.
I tore apart a Dell XPS 17" monitor laptop due to heat issues. This was a gaming laptop that my son gifted to me. He needed a laptop cooler pad to keep it cool or it would over heat. he never bothered to blow out the cooling fins on it so by the time I got it and disassembled it, the fan was covered with dust, the channel that the air flow was to travel through was plugged, and all of the fins that help keep the laptop cool were plugged with dust. There was really no air circulation happening at all.
It was pretty bad and it was a job to tear apart and then clean up and put back together. A YouTube video got me through it and when I was done, the laptop ran cooler and the fan would hardly run at all after that and I didn't use a laptop cooler pad.
If it's still under warranty, I'd be calling the mfg. back and see what can be done to fix the problem. If it's not under warranty, I would tear it apart and see what/where the problem is.

"Temperatures of 111 will cause burns and here is a safety guide line. "In fact, one gets very uncomfortable and minimally functional at temperatures higher than 105°F (40.5°C). Various governmental bodies such as the US Labor Department’s OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) and Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) also stipulate limits on safe working / operating temperatures."

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! LMAO!! This is HILARIOUS!! Be sure to let people that live in places such as Arizona to not go outside because the warm air will burn them!!!

BRB: gotta tell my wife to throw out her hair dryer, PRONTO!!

Is the laptop raising your room/home temperature to unsafe levels? Are you blasting hot exhaust directly at your junk?

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
As far as I know computers up to 110 degrees is pretty normal with high-end laptops. You are taking this too seriously.

Just because everyone is doing does not make it right. If anything you just added to my broad assumption that all gaming laptops are very close to or have crossed a threshold for safe consumer use. Then again all manufacturers do not produce the product. So in my experience I found my last laptop to be acceptable, this latest one not at all. Also, I have asked Gigabyte to supply me with a safety data sheet they can not or will not. They also ignored my request as to UL listing. In their warranty they will state that they are not responsible for damage caused by malfunction and your homeowners or renters insurance can be void if a fire is caused by a non listed UL product.

So far popular opinion is the heat is ok. I would like to point out I have provided safety guidelines from the CPSC and OSHA not opinion. Also, on this particular model it is not only the temperature but the CFM(amount) of hot air that is concerning. I have a desktop for regular use and I got this laptop to replace my older one. The nature of of laptop is well to be used in a closer more personal contact way in cramped spaces mostly around travel like cars, terminals, and air planes. Places where you do not have the luxury of proper space.

D

Deleted member 14196

Man I think you are over the top with this way too paranoid and worried about stuff that is never going to happen

Build yourself a nice rig instead and stop all of the unnecessary worrying

USAFRet

Titan
Just because everyone is doing does not make it right. If anything you just added to my broad assumption that all gaming laptops are very close to or have crossed a threshold for safe consumer use. Then again all manufacturers do not produce the product. So in my experience I found my last laptop to be acceptable, this latest one not at all. Also, I have asked Gigabyte to supply me with a safety data sheet they can not or will not. They also ignored my request as to UL listing. In their warranty they will state that they are not responsible for damage caused by malfunction and your homeowners or renters insurance can be void if a fire is caused by a non listed UL product.

So far popular opinion is the heat is ok. I would like to point out I have provided safety guidelines from the CPSC and OSHA not opinion. Also, on this particular model it is not only the temperature but the CFM(amount) of hot air that is concerning. I have a desktop for regular use and I got this laptop to replace my older one. The nature of of laptop is well to be used in a closer more personal contact way in cramped spaces mostly around travel like cars, terminals, and air planes. Places where you do not have the luxury of proper space.
To verify...

You have a measured 106 Farenheit air temp coming out of the laptop vent, under full gaming load.
Correct?

And this is somehow "too hot"?

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Man I think you are over the top with this way too paranoid and worried about stuff that is never going to happen

Build yourself a nice rig instead and stop all of the unnecessary worrying

I am waiting to buy a Ryzen 5 5600x to complete my latest build. Unfortunately, I travel for work and I can not take a desktop with me. I can not custom build my own laptop so I am forced to buy a consumer product and it should not burn my hand or be louder than the airplane I am traveling on.

So far popular opinion is the heat is ok. I would like to point out I have provided safety guidelines from the CPSC and OSHA not opinion. Also, on this particular model it is not only the temperature but the CFM(amount) of hot air that is concerning. I have a desktop for regular use and I got this laptop to replace my older one. The nature of of laptop is well to be used in a closer more personal contact way in cramped spaces mostly around travel like cars, terminals, and air plane,s. Places where you do not have the luxury of proper space.
Ok, so what exactly are you trying to accomplish with this thread?

OSHA has NOTHING to do with consumer goods!

BTW: The AC transformer for your laptop will be UL approved.

Here's a novel idea, return the laptop and purchase a different model.

Or just continue crying and making something out of nothing.

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
To verify...

You have a measured 106 Farenheit air temp coming out of the laptop vent, under full gaming load.
Correct?

And this is somehow "too hot"?

I measured that temp within just a minute of booting up and turning on CIV 6. Seeing how I easily exceeded the limit from OSHA and the noise was excessive, I did not care to go father. I did get a 110 temp once before sending it in on the second RMA when I became aware that you can get burns after about hour of exposure to 111 degree temps. Unfortunately, I can not keep my mouse/hand in a comfortable spot to use that laptop because of where the vent exhausts. On this unit the CPU and GPU share heat pipes, so as the GPU heats up things only get worse.

cyrust

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
OSHA has NOTHING to do with consumer goods!

BTW: The AC transformer for your laptop will be UL approved.

Here's a novel idea, return the laptop and purchase a different model.

Or just continue crying and making something out of nothing.

Well, I have also mentioned the CPSC with OSHA. The CPSC is the Consumer Products Safety Commission and they are the folks that have the authority to recall cars and stuff like laptops.

It is generally the device or battery not the PSU that causes fires.

The retailer kind of shafted me with the return period policy, I tried to work this out with Gigabyte and with the COVID deal the return period closed and they say "this must be resolved by Gigabyte it is past the return date" no consideration for slow service because of COVID.

If I know now what I knew then I would not have bought it at all. But, then that would not change that we are gettin products that are beyond reasonable safety limits. Again I point out I have provided guide lines I have found not opinion and I have encouraged anyone to provide me with any information. So far, I have only gotten opinion back.

"the limit from OSHA "

Please give us a published link to this limit.

First post

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well, I have also mentioned the CPSC with OSHA. The CPSC is the Consumer Products Safety Commission and they are the folks that have the authority to recall cars and stuff like laptops.

It is generally the device or battery not the PSU that causes fires.

The retailer kind of shafted me with the return period policy, I tried to work this out with Gigabyte and with the COVID deal the return period closed and they say "this must be resolved by Gigabyte it is past the return date" no consideration for slow service because of COVID.

If I know now what I knew then I would not have bought it at all. But, then that would not change that we are gettin products that are beyond reasonable safety limits. Again I point out I have provided guide lines I have found not opinion and I have encouraged anyone to provide me with any information. So far, I have only gotten opinion back.

"the limit from OSHA "

Please give us a published link to this limit.

First post

This is absolutely ridiculous. Working in an environment in which it's 106 degrees is very different than a small exhaust on a laptop giving off 106 degree air. Your environment is not 106 degrees.

This topic is going nowhere. On this forum, we talk computers, not black helicopters. Do not start any more threads on this topic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.