Gaming locally with someone on a separate subnet

trev19

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
My younger brothers and I are trying to play an online game together just on our LAN. My PC is on my own subnet of 192.168.50.0/28 and their PCs are on 192.168.1.0/24. We cannot seem to get in a game together unless I make all sorts of adjustments to my cabling setup and put my self on the /24 network with them. Is there any way that we can play locally without me having to switch subnets? I've tried creating a public server but also couldn't get that to work, is that my only option, or maybe creating a static route?

My brothers are on an ATT cable modem/router combo (I'm not currently home, I can provide the model of the combo device later, if it's needed)
I have a pepwave surf soho mk3 router setup in my room (which is awesome, by the way)
If I've left out any essential information, please let me know.
Thank you.

Solution
Your problem is not that the game does not work on different subnets it is the main att cable modem route has no way to know that your subnet exists. I will assume your device is plugged into the main router.

Technically you need actual routers to do this. Your device appears to have some actual routing ability but the ATT one likely does not. If you run NAT on your router then you might get it to work with use of the WAN ip and port mapping all the ports to the lan ip.
Your problem is not that the game does not work on different subnets it is the main att cable modem route has no way to know that your subnet exists. I will assume your device is plugged into the main router.

Technically you need actual routers to do this. Your device appears to have some actual routing ability but the ATT one likely does not. If you run NAT on your router then you might get it to work with use of the WAN ip and port mapping all the ports to the lan ip.

Solution

Terpinator

Reputable
Apr 12, 2017
The purpose of subnets is to separate network traffic. Your devices cannot see or communicate with one another while on different subnets without being given a way to reach the other subnet (ex: router)

trev19

Commendable
Nov 6, 2016
Thank you both for your respones,

I setup NAT on my router as suggested but still couldn't get it to work. I'll have to try setting up something public once more for us all to connect to. Thanks again.