Gaming mice with 4000+ DPI... What for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hello guys!

Question is simple, why do you hardcore gamers need crazy mice with DPIs like 5600? For say the Razer Mamba.

To me that's just CRAZY! I tried out the Steelseries Xai at a local store, I set the DPI to 2000, and I couldn't even see the cursor move past the desktop... It's like FLASH and it's gone.

Is there something I don't know about to these gaming mice and stuffs? Because with such high DPI settings, how on Earth do you guys control it???

Looking forward to some answers and discussions, thanks in advance guys!!! Alex Cheng

Solution
No, i didint say they dont go for 4000 dpi, simply, they go, then they tweak their settings, some people use them, depends on what, but on games 2000 dpi should be enough, for most gamers-
Normally, the higher dpi settings, the more options and specs the mouse have, some with programmable buttons, weight adjustments... And some people buy them due to the specs available-
Btw, my next mouse will be something like 3500 dpi =
A high dpi mouse is nice for gaming, just tweak your sensitivity settings-

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
You dont really need high dpi mouses to frag, a gaming mouse of 1800 - 2800 dpi is well enough..
I did say, the 5600 dpi is when you have been gaming for a decade or so, still needs explanation though. Am a hardcore gamer, my 1800 dpi keeps me entertained ;)
Btw, talking about control, just set a sensitivity level thats suits you -

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Not true-

Depends on pour settings and sensitivity level.

@ Alex, they are not accurate as such , high dpi , means they are faster-

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Guys sorry I may sound stupid now, but I still don't get it...

55range said that higher DPI = moves faster. But now, wouldn't 4000 DPI move a little big tooooo fast? How on Earth do you control it? Like the tiniest movement would send your crosshair going made in FPS games...

Okay then you say, "so they don't go as high as 4000 DPI, maybe they only use 1800..." Then that wouldn't make sense, because if that's the case, and are people spending 100 dollars for a gaming mouse?

Thank you all for the replies!!! Alex Cheng

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
No, i didint say they dont go for 4000 dpi, simply, they go, then they tweak their settings, some people use them, depends on what, but on games 2000 dpi should be enough, for most gamers-
Normally, the higher dpi settings, the more options and specs the mouse have, some with programmable buttons, weight adjustments... And some people buy them due to the specs available-
Btw, my next mouse will be something like 3500 dpi =
A high dpi mouse is nice for gaming, just tweak your sensitivity settings-

Solution

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009

Ohhh I see now.. I didn't mean you said that, I was just making an assumption, hope I didn't offend you :lol:

But now I finally get what's up with this whole DPI-madness thing, my friend's giving me a razer mouse (he didn't specify which) as a birthday present, I'll make sure I try out what it is like to game at such high sensitivity settings....

Thanks for all the help guys, rrrreeeaally appreciated it!!!!!!

Alex Cheng

Some people prefer a low DPI but a high sensitivity. Some people prefer a high DPI and low sensitivity. In comes down to how precise and how fast you want the mouse to move.

EG: for every single mouse movement, how much do you want the on-screen cursor to move? This affects accuracy in FPS titles a LOT, especially on distant targets. On some low DPI mice, even at high sensitivity, it may be impossible to position for a headshot because the mouse isn't precise enough on small movements. Hence why I favor high-DPI mice.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, but that has to do with the laser and materials..

hairystuff

Distinguished

thats true, but even machanical mice can track quite well and accurately until the ball and rollers get covered in debris, the higher dpi means higher resolution in terms for more precise accurate tracking. A millimeter is still a millimeter when measured with a ruler, but with precision measurement equipment you can devide a millimeter 10x 100x 1000x or more with deeper detailed resolution and precision.

victordilorenzo

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008

Yes true. with 2000dpi your curser moves farther on the screen with 1" of mouse movement than at 1000 dpi. So you get across the screen faster because your mouse does not have to move as far to go the same distance on screen.

I guess I didn't word it clearly enough...

glass heart

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
HI

Yes, if you are used to a standard led mouse at "normal" speeds, trying a 5700 dpi mouse at the store will feel uncontrollable.

I have a logitech g9x mouse and I set it at 5700 dpi
(btw I put no extra weight in and use the small 'rough' grip, for those interested)
My screen is 1366x768 and this is a comfortable speed for me. I set the mouse speed in controll panel at the default (in the middle) because

I just tested and it takes it takes roughly 1/4 inch (1cm) movement on my mousepad to move across the screen.

I like a fast mouse, I do not move my wrist. To move, I squish the mouse into either my thumb or pinky.

the reason I have this mouse is for the high dpi, i like because of the precision.

with a standard mouse, in order to move far distance you must increase the speed on the mouse settings in controll panel. YES you can go across the screen in 1cm, but you cannot acuratley close/minimize windows or anything very effectively.

My idea is : no accelleration, default 1:1 mouse speed + high dpi = wherever the mouse goes, it goes ONLY because I purposely put it exactly there.

My dream mouse would be a ball mouse that has the lazer read from the ball < thoughts on this ?

next time you try a high-dpi mouse at the store, remember that they are not controlled the same way you operate yours at home, it is a different technique.
Keep you palm skin planted and jiggle around on it =p

at first it may seem to take a lot of focus but it is awesome being able to command such awsum peice of equipment

as an added bonus -> NO ONE will be able your computer (especially if you start typing in colemak too =D )

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hey guys, I don't know what happened but I didn't seem to get the emails informing me about this thread, sorry about that... But I just read over it and this is some good discussion. I bought the Razer Orochi (because I loved the fact that it could be either wired or wireless), and I think I've found the answer as to why people would want such high DPI settings... Screen resolution. I just bought a 1920x1080 monitor recently as well, 4000 DPI on the HD screen is really still pretty manageable (I have the control panel setting right in the middle), but switch over to the laptop's screen (1366x768) then it's a little too sensitive. I'm not really sure if that's the reason people buy mouse with such high DPI settings, but that's what I feel about it. Not to forget there are people that are just trained to use such high DPI settings like "glass heart", the "no one will be able to use your computer" part sounds pretty neat, LOL!

Anyway guys, thanks for the good discussion! :D

-Alex Cheng

nocturnal7x

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Playing at 1920x1080, 3200 dpi is great in skyrim, and I used anywhere between 800-2000 in shooters.

At higher resolutions you need a faster mouse. If I had a 3 monior setup Id probably use all the DPI I could lol.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

5700 DPI on a g9x feels controllable because the g9x has between 5-10% baked in sensor acceleration that cannot be removed through any software alterations via logitech's suite or otherwise. Not to say acceleration is always a bad thing, but that is why some mice feel more controllable at high DPI settings. Mice with actual zero accel and a high dpi threshold (mamba 3.5g version without firmware update for instance) do not feel nearly as manageable in the 5k+ dpi range.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012
I can give you an exact reason and example:

I play with the RAT7, which took getting used to, then I got the BF3 gaming mousepad by razer. I usually keep it at 1500 but occasionally raise to 2500. It does however have 4 settings so I actually set it 5600 for the max setting. When playing bf3 or arma 2: operation arrowhead and using tanks or vehicles, the max dpi works perfect. When gunning with the su-34 or f-18, it's almost imperative to use 5600 for me. My gaming mousepad is huge but doesn't have enough room when playing with those vehicles. Try it sometime and tell me how agile your vehicles are.

there is a reason for high dpi mice and thats for gamers who use 3 screens that have a rez of 5760/1080 or rts players who need to fast map moves. the average gamer with 1 screen doesn't really need that high a dpi. but it can give much greater accuracy if you know how to set em up...

some gamers prefer to set the mouse to the maximum dpi and then go to windows mouse control and turn the mouse speed down to almost 0. features that should be avoided on gamin mice. but some manufacturers include them for other applications of the mouse not just gaming... features like, prediction/ acceleration (posative and negative) and smoothing. on most gaming mice these extras can be disabled, but most of the time its never quite off.

my prefrence is a mouse that i can match to the rez of the monitor or as close to it as i can get... currently i run a single 1080p monitor for games and have my mouse set to 1925/1075 which is almost perfect but not quite. in games i reduce the dpi to 1600/900 and its absolutely pixel perfect. it just means i have to move it an inch and a quarter instead of an inch ;)

the real benefit of gaming mice is the poll rate anything over 500 is unnoticeable by the average gamer but its better to have 1 that goes up to 1000 as it allows you to get the speed and response you prefer...
currently my mouse (rat 7 contagion) has variable polling from 0-1000 which some may find odd but it does seem to work... and minimizes the chance of acceleration/smoothing or prediction affecting the accuracy of my input to what happens on screen..

if you like fps gaming the a 1600-2400 dpi mouse will serve you well enough and you dont have to spend huge amounts to get a very decent mouse (logitech g400)..
rts and mmo player prefer higher dpis as it allows fast map movement without having to lift the mouse...
but as with all things its down to personal taste... i prefer lower dpi but very fast responce. while others prefer high dpi but a slower response... so best take your pick and choose the weapon that suites your gaming style and dont be pressured into buying a mouse with huge dpi, just because it has huge dpi

matt2155

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Its not just about the DPI.

I just bought a Razer Mamba mouse because I liked the style, and I liked how it fitted my hand.

In mice I always look for response time and comfortability

Status
Not open for further replies.