Gaming mice with 4000+ DPI... What for?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hello guys!

Question is simple, why do you hardcore gamers need crazy mice with DPIs like 5600? For say the Razer Mamba.

To me that's just CRAZY! I tried out the Steelseries Xai at a local store, I set the DPI to 2000, and I couldn't even see the cursor move past the desktop... It's like FLASH and it's gone.

Is there something I don't know about to these gaming mice and stuffs? Because with such high DPI settings, how on Earth do you guys control it???

Looking forward to some answers and discussions, thanks in advance guys!!! Alex Cheng

Solution
No, i didint say they dont go for 4000 dpi, simply, they go, then they tweak their settings, some people use them, depends on what, but on games 2000 dpi should be enough, for most gamers-
Normally, the higher dpi settings, the more options and specs the mouse have, some with programmable buttons, weight adjustments... And some people buy them due to the specs available-
Btw, my next mouse will be something like 3500 dpi =
A high dpi mouse is nice for gaming, just tweak your sensitivity settings-

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Yeah this is a good point. No one should misconstrue the concept that extremely high-dpi's are largely a marketing gimmick, to also mean that all mice with high available DPI's are also bad. The two don't necessarily correlate.

But unless you're a tri-screen gamer like Hexit mentioned, which probably constitutes less than 2% of people who would be considered PC gamers, there probably won't be any situation where 5600 dpi will be any more beneficial to you than 4500 or 3600 and what have you.

A lot of what constitutes gaming mice is way overblown. The only things that people always agreed on was picking a mouse with no acceleration/no prediction if you preferred those features, or picking a mouse that has one or both of them if you do like them.

I read an interesting post on another forum (overclockers mouse subforum I believe) from a former pro CS player who explained that he and his clanmates always just used the mouse that they had started out with at internet cafe's, and always used the same setting in game as on their desktop. That was the key to their accuracy. They ALWAYS got the same response out of their mouse because they used the same setting in every application.

That brings up another interesting point which is the variable DPI switching buttons gimmick.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

Battlefield games are the only games I find myself adjusting DPI on the fly. i.e. In a Tank the sensitivity is crap, then if you move to the 50 cal in the tank its fine so simply adjusting the vehicle mouse sensitivity is useless. So as tank driver/gunner I tick the DPI up a couple notches on the fly, then back down when i get out or man the 50. and for planes I also agree.

I use a logitech G10. (Has the perfect amount of buttons I want, the Razer Mamba(or whichever one has a gazillion buttons) is just too much) I use a steel series glass mousepad. (wore out both sides of my razer exactmat in a year, hoping the steel series holds up better)

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

How many buttons? I have RAT 7aand it gives me two extra on the side and a thumb wheel which gives me two and the sniper button which slows dpi down... the first two are perfect but the sniper is hard to reach and the wheel isn't optimal in my opinion. I feel like 6 side buttons would be great for me... especially for switching to the AT weapons on the fly. I use the side buttons as prone and crouch and it's always been perfect for me. I program the middle button to knife like in bfbc2.

tsd16

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

My fault its the G700 i have (I was at work forgot which one it was, lol)

The G700 has 4 side buttons A 5th button right below the dpi buttons(which are to the left of the LMB) and of course R/L MB and middle MB. One of the razer ones has like 12 but thats just too much. The G700 is cordless (but you can use it corded too).

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Huh, I thought I was the only one having troubles with the vehicles in BF3... Yeah, not sure what they were thinking, but the sensitivity difference between shooting when you're on foot and in vehicle is just badong.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Sens in vehicles is way high in BF3. Would personally prefer it to be like BFBC2 where vehicle turrets where noticeably slower than on foot, but I certainly wouldn't accuse BF3's vehicle sens of being slow by any means. It can be set to match your infantry sens, as long as you understand how the sliders work.

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I use roccat kone + (and thank god no problem after using it for nearly 6 months after purchase)

I set my dpi to 3k when going ratratratrat, then lower on pew pew pew (BF3)

well around 2.5k- 3k when going auto and normally at 1,8k on single fire, but whenever I play on 3 monitor I'm more comfortable at 3k-3.8k with a nice other settings to keep me comfortable

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

Copy that Hexit. I think it's up to the user, the plus of having an adjustable mouse is a convenience more than a requirement. I go the convenient route because my mouse matches my gaming keyboard in color and because I like having on the fly power. When running 5760 X 1080 resolution with an additionally accessory monitor it gets annoying picking the mouse up to scan from my monitor on the right all the way over to the accessory monitor while working on a project or something, so having a moderate dpi (3k) is awesome. My mouse also comes with preset profiles for games and software alike. I will say that I max it out at 5700 for jets in Bf3 (turned up to number 4) and use 4000 when piloting choppers (level 3). Again I think it's just a convenience thing. There are also sensitivity settings in Windows 7 control panel. If you're on a budget, sticking with a regular mouse is ok but if you want some extra features and like using a gaming pad (my gaming mouse was terrible before I purchased one), then the high speed mouse is probably awesome for you.

idunnoknowlol

Honorable
Feb 1, 2013
no one seems to have given the actual answer in this whole thread. DPI is about precision, you can raise the sensitivity of a low DPI mouse and it will move as fast as you want, but not very precisely.

In turn, put a gaming mouse at high DPI and lower the sensitivity to make it extremely accurate. You aren't meant to play games with high DPI AND avg/high sensitivity, thats just silly. Playing with

High DPI + low sensitivity > AVG DPI avg sensitivity >>>>>>>>>>>> low DPI high sensitivity.

At any rate I would argue no one could tell the difference above say 2000, but being able to lower/increase dpi whenever you want is pretty nifty. Thats the only time I personally go to 3200 at least.

Status88

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014

Personally I'd have to disagree, I have downloaded windows drivers to turn off all windows mouse acceleration to windows XP default settings while im running on windows 8.1 - My gaming mouse is a logitech G502 - and personally I game with 400 mouse DPI and adjust ingame mouse sensitivity higher, It's the real gaming feel, and what lots of pro or comp level players play with - no amazingly good players are using High DPI and Low Sensitivity as it makes recoil compensation and pinpoint accuracy extraordinarly hard unless you prefer moving your mouse a fraction of a millimeter and see the cursor go half way across the screen for half a MM of mouse movement, what youve stated here is the dumbest thing ever.. High DPI and low Sensitivity is the worst way to game in online FPS possible, assuming we are playing first person shooters, if you're playing a twitch shooter with no recoil or sway then maybe it will work, but assuming u have weapon sway and recoil, Low DPI and higher sensitivity will always beat the opposite, don't ever think otherwise scrub

steini1904

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014

First: Do you know how old this thread is...?

Second: What are you talking about? DPI is the resolution your mouse delivers to the system. So: When you take a picture with your camera and scale it later up to a higher resolution, you won't get more detail. In-game sensitivity is the scaling process. I have the G502, too but are running it on almost maxed out dpi. And I can compensate in BF4 any recoil. Not only the upwards, but most of the left and right recoil, too. I was never able to do something like this with a low dpi mouse.

But make sure you got a good mousepad.

nealarec

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
the real answer for this question is that the monitors of the professional players have very big resolution, like 1080p or 2160p the a regular mouse with a regular sensor frequency for 720p monitors or less takes a lot of time to go across the monitor, then, you can add system's acceleration to the regular mouse to move more fast, and the problem begins here, the system's acceleration not change the sensitive frequency of the mouse make it unpredictable and stop the cursor not in the stop position, make their clicks be loss, many times.
when you change the dpi argument from your gaming mouse, you are changing the frequency over that the mouse send the current position of the cursor by itself and the scale of the vector that the mouse send to the computer by this why when the gamer stops the mouse te cursor stop at the fact and the click gets precision

Tidyshark

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015
I have the razer naga at 8200 dpi and i have it set to nearly the highest speed and it moves across a 3440x1440 34 inch screen pretty well and stays in sight

oobymach

Reputable
Jul 11, 2015
I have a logitech g502, it's 12000 dpi though I only use 6000, feels fast and accurate, can still highlight text with ease and touch all 4 edges of the screen within about an inch of movement (desktop @1080p)

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

I have the Naga also but I find it to be the worst FPS mouse I've ever used. I like the 12 buttons but I don't like it for FPS games. I liked the R.A.T. 7 but the metal on it actually corroded.

jfizzle4321

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2012

Some people actually have the hand eye coordination to use higher DPIs. I think I'm with you though. Anytime I've used higher DPI settings it's failed me. One thing I noticed in BF3 & 4 is that the axis of tanks is obviously a lot slower. That's where higher DPI settings on the fly really came in handy. I'd use DPIs of 3000 in those circumstances, until my tank was about to get destroyed and I tried to adjust it back to normal and I got killed a few times.

Tidyshark

Reputable
Jul 13, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.