Gaming Notebook Has Touch, Full HD, Core i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to knwo what graphics chip is in that, "Meatier," core i7-820QM.

Also, throwing an HD5650 into a $1,000+ machine is pointless. Sure, it's great for half-life 2, L4D, team fortress, and your favorite RTS/RPG games. Otherwise...not so much.

G

for a laptop, the 5650 is one of the best out there. The only things getting more powerful solutions cost at least $1500. I have the 4650 in a Sony VAIO FW series and it plays everything I have at full settings. Granted, I dont have crysis, but still. The desktop 5650 may pale in comparison to the 5850 (which I also own) but for a laptop, you;re not going to get a whole lot better than the 5650.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]bavarians6[/nom]for a laptop, the 5650 is one of the best out there. The only things getting more powerful solutions cost at least $1500. I have the 4650 in a Sony VAIO FW series and it plays everything I have at full settings. Granted, I dont have crysis, but still. The desktop 5650 may pale in comparison to the 5850 (which I also own) but for a laptop, you;re not going to get a whole lot better than the 5650.[/citation]
There are laptops with the GTX280M SLI and the 4870M Xfire graphics in them, and for prices that really aren't all that much higher than this. Sure, 6 years ago, you never heard of that kind of power being put in a notebook. But today, it's common if you're shopping anywhere but walmart or best buy.

jenesuispasbavard

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]bavarians6[/nom]for a laptop, the 5650 is one of the best out there. The only things getting more powerful solutions cost at least $1500. I have the 4650 in a Sony VAIO FW series and it plays everything I have at full settings. Granted, I dont have crysis, but still. The desktop 5650 may pale in comparison to the 5850 (which I also own) but for a laptop, you;re not going to get a whole lot better than the 5650.[/citation]Umm, there are many laptop GPUs better than the 5650 (which has 128-bit GDDR3 memory, by the way). Anything higher than a 9800M GTS for example, is better than the Mobility Radeon 5650. Of course, the selection at retails stores and even at Newegg is really limited. In fact, the abundance of laptops with 5650s in them at Newegg should tell you that it is a mid-range card, not high-performance.

Also from experience, my laptop's GTX 260M is significantly faster than roommate's 5650.

seallionrampant

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
The problem I have with this laptop is that It possibly has no swivel so you can just use it like a tablet to play multitouch games. Unless they put a swivel on it I don't think it will sell well

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Wanna hear a joke?

Gaming Notebook.

Its honestly just so bad for the money, and these "gaming notebooks" begin to loose their portability. I'd rather just get a mini itx/micro atx system.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
[citation][nom]XD_dued[/nom]Wanna hear a joke?Gaming Notebook.Its honestly just so bad for the money, and these "gaming notebooks" begin to loose their portability. I'd rather just get a mini itx/micro atx system.[/citation]

Not every games with first person shooters. This is more than enough for decent gaming, and is suited to be good enough for a home desktop and a portable device.

The joke is old get over it, it can game fine. I'd much rather carry a laptop to a lan, and I don't wanna get dirty looks when I walk into the local coffee shop with my tower/screen/cords.

Back on topic, looks like a good machine, i'd be a little more comfortable with a 17" screen and 10-key

Overcklockalypse

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Not every games with first person shooters. This is more than enough for decent gaming, and is suited to be good enough for a home desktop and a portable device.

The joke is old get over it, it can game fine. I'd much rather carry a laptop to a lan, and I don't wanna get dirty looks when I walk into the local coffee shop with my tower/screen/cords.

Back on topic, looks like a good machine, i'd be a little more comfortable with a 17" screen and 10-key

What kind of battery life do you expect to get with that beast? I mean isn't the point of getting a laptop to have it be portable and functional. It's hardly either of those when you are restricted to an outlet. I agree with him that for the cost/functionality/power combination it's hardly practical.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
[citation][nom]Overcklockalypse[/nom]What kind of battery life do you expect to get with that beast? I mean isn't the point of getting a laptop to have it be portable and functional. It's hardly either of those when you are restricted to an outlet. I agree with him that for the cost/functionality/power combination it's hardly practical.[/citation]

I use a gaming laptop and it is very practical for me as a college student. I'm constantly taking my laptop over to friends' dorms for lan parties and whatnot. I get about an hour and a half unplugged, which isn't very good but its something. It definitely beats the hell out of having to lug around a monitor, tower, mouse, and keyboard. I can just plug in and go with my laptop and can play every game out there at acceptable settings with the 9800m GS in it. I can max out most games and keep it around 30fps with the exception of crysis and probably that new metro 2033 game.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
There's 15" laptops with 1920x1200 screens, don't get lazy now.
I think maybe a 5770m would be the sweet spot (about equal to a desktop 4670, the 5870m is about equal to a desktop 5770/4870).
A 25W CPU instead of a 35/45W would also be nice. (Just look at the 28W C2D P9700, 2.8GHz baby!) Maybe one that has some insane turbo meant for dual core mode and completely disables the other two cores if not properly utilized.
Integrated graphics. This is so you can switch so your dedicated doesn't rape your battery when you don't need it.

The amount of laptops with 4870m's is sad. It was a great laptop GPU, but barely touched the market.

Check out the NP8760 by Sager. The 5870m option is $55 cheaper than a GTX 285m. Only $1,600.
Currently the Alienware M17x with a C2D offers LSI 260m, while a M17x with a i5/i7 has the option for either a single or Xfire 4870m. No love for the 5000's yet.

I wonder though, how many laptops could you gut out the current crappy dedicated and fit in a 5770m/5870m?

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
i prefer m11x more ~ 15.6 gaming laptop just too big for me ~
hmmm may be i m looking for 13inch laptop with 5970M ? hehe~

Status
Not open for further replies.