Question Gaming PC Buying Options

duggandy

Reputable
Feb 6, 2016
Hello,

The budget is up to £1,000 and the current strategy is waiting for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. This is for a desktop/laptop only. Steam is driving the need for a PC as all my friends use Steam rather than Xbox/PS4.

I need a high spec gaming PC that will last up to 5-8 years to avoid obsolescence. The previous rig I built and over-clocked until the MOBO failed an AM2 socket. Since reviewing today's products, they have significantly improved. The GTX 2060 GPU is considered the 'future-proof' go-to with a 10th Gen i7. i9 are clearly affordable. Nvdia and Intel to all others so these two products are required.

Use of VR and intensive gaming (120fps+) is the baseline requirement. The unknown is surrounding emerging technology in meeting this demand. New battery technology and super-conducting components are looming. I need your knowledge to help make an informed decision in making an investment, at a budget. There is an expectation that for £1,000 and below, this is not possible but it is worth asking the experts to confirm this assumption.

Current progress:
Gaming friends have advised with bits and pieces
Amazon Prime Deal Day was not viable
Self-Build was no viable
Second hand machines are unreliable without warranties/guarantee's
Desktop set-up is acceptable as Laptops are expensive
Standalone VR systems have not been fully scoped

Hey there.

The short answer (if I understand you correctly) is that for £1000 you cannot get a system capable of what you want. If you were going to build it yourself then yes, it's posisble.

Here's are two systems, One is a AMD Ryzen based system, the second an Intel based System.

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/weekly-sales-I

https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Infinity-X99-Gaming-PC

Both systems will be very close in performance, with the Intel system being a fraction faster in gaming, and the Ryzen a lot better in multicore performance.

Both systems would serve you well for gaming/productivity for another few years. As for 5-8 years! Well both systems can upgrade CPU/GPU, so you can keep it relevant. Being 'futureproof' for 5-8 years is just not an option. You can't really look beyond 2 years with current hardware, as the resources requirements increase for games/apps, so must the tech driving it.

hang-the-9

Titan
Since you want to wait for the sale days, you will need to look then and see what is available. Look for the fastest video card/CPU combo then look a bit into the parts in the actual system if you are buying a pre-built, especially the power supply. If it's not listed anywhere or is a low quality model, either buy the thing if it's cheap and replace the power supply yourself or keep looking to find one with either a good PSU or one you can swap out during the options of the build at the site.

Reactions: keith12

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS