Gaming PC (Overclocking)

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Hey guys i'm trying to build a new gaming PC. To save some extra cash, i wont be using an SSD. Instead, i will be reusing one 300gb 7200rpm HDD (that's enough for me) The optical drive will also be reused. I want help with deciding on a good cpu cooler to overclock one of the following cpu's

- Keep in mind, i only care about real world performance. I do not play at high resolutions. My current resolution is 1440x900

- Purchasing from NCIX.ca or Newegg.ca (preferably ncix)

CPU's in mind:
FX 6300
FX 8350
FX 4170 (It has a base block of 4.2GHZ, can anyone provide feedback?)
AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE

Also, i need help on deciding on a decent motherboard that can handle overclocking my CPU for under $130

I would prefer a liquid cooling setup like a h100 or kuhler 920

Also, what case would provide a decent enough spacing for it all?

Thanks in advance :)

Solution
Overclocking in your case isn't going to really matter. In addition to that, core clock is different in ever case. For example, that 4170 at 4.2ghz will never be better than a stock 3.2gz i5. Its about chip architecture not speed so much.

Closed loop liquid coolers aren't really any better than good air coolers.If you are really serious about wanting a high overclock, you will need to build a custom loop. (upwards of $200).

Your GPU is basically going to solely determine your gaming performance. Not the CPU.
Overclocking in your case isn't going to really matter. In addition to that, core clock is different in ever case. For example, that 4170 at 4.2ghz will never be better than a stock 3.2gz i5. Its about chip architecture not speed so much.

Closed loop liquid coolers aren't really any better than good air coolers.If you are really serious about wanting a high overclock, you will need to build a custom loop. (upwards of $200).

Your GPU is basically going to solely determine your gaming performance. Not the CPU.

Solution

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

It wont matter because of my resolution correct? So what CPU matched up with a 7870 or maybe a 7950 will give me a playable frame rate? Im currently running a core 2 duo running at 2.4ghz with a radeon hd 7770 and i'm able to run BF3 on high settings but i can't run planetside 2 at all ):

I would go intel. the cheapest i5 and an h77 motherboard will be great. And no, overclocking in any case makes a very small not really noticeable difference. It's more for fun.

If you can't swing an i5, get the fx6300 and a decent motherboard. Use the left over money to buy the best GPU you can afford.

What PSU will you be using?

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

Sounds like a plan :) For the PSU i'm aware that seasonic is a great top of the line brand, antec is good too if im not mistaken, I think 80+ bronze efficiency will suffice. As for the wattage, I'm unsure ): 7950's are pretty cheap now so i was thinking one of those with a lower end i5 chip. What wattage will be enough?

MRC390

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I came across that PSU on Ncix for a similar price. The thing is, what decent case could i get for under $60 so that i could route the non modular cables and try to tuck them away to keep it as neat as possible?

Look at cases by Coolermaster, Corsair, Bitfenix, Antec