Question Gaming PC still hangs on 'Restart'

royj23

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Edit for specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YHYQpG

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 (BIOS v4801)
CPU: Intel i7-4820K
RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue (4x 8GB)
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 390

========================================

1. Replaced the CMOS battery. Now the PC powers on normally. It doesn't turn on, then off, then on again by itself after I press the power button.
  2. I updated BIOS from 4701 to 4801 BETA. Rebooted to BIOS and restored all default settings.
  3. Bought a new SSD to install and run Windows 10.
  4. Disabling 'Fast Boot'.
Everything besides the reboot issue is fine. The PC doesn't have any issues gaming. When I select "Shut Down" from the start menu, it powers off fully. When I press "Restart" the displays go off, but the hardware will never shut down. The fans never stop spinning, it never clicks off and comes back on. Just a black screen and all the internals keep running. The case fans, CPU cooler, GPU, motherboard fans, all of it. It just hangs like that and never turns off or restarts. I have to press to power button on the tower to turn it off, then press again for it to come back on at which point it boots normally now.

If you didn't bother reading the linked thread, here's some things I've tried prior to this update;

-Replacing PSU (Corsair 850W 80+ Gold certified fully modular)
-Seating the RAM several times
-Using 1 RAM stick at a time in the correct slot. Cycled through all 4 sticks
-MemOK button
-Checked the MB for any bent pins / burns or obvious signs for any kind of damage
-Checked for bent pins on the back on the CPU
-Checked to make sure everything was plugged in and secured properly

If anyone has any ideas, feel free to shout them out. At my wits end here.

Last edited by a moderator:

royj23

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Installed your motherboard drivers from Asus's site?
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X79/HelpDesk_Download/
From that site? The only thing I've personally downloaded from that was the newest BIOS 4801.

When you installed the new SSD, did you clone the older installation or did you do a fresh installation of Windows 10?
It was a completely fresh install Windows install with a USB flash drive. Used the Microsoft tool to make it.

royj23

Prominent
Mar 6, 2019
Other than this being a software problem, the only hardware I can think of that could be at fault here is the motherboard, since that is mainly responsible for performing a restart, other than the CPU. Check for bent pins on the motherboard.
I did and didn't find any. I had mentioned that in my previous thread that went unanswered. I linked it in this thread to show what previous troubleshooting steps I had taken, but for some reason the mods here saw fit to edit my post and remove the link for me.