[SOLVED] Gaming PC

pepper46

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Hi all,
I have been looking at parts for a new gaming PC I'm looking to build in the coming weeks and so far I have come up with this:
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | £283.98 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler | £30.90 @ Box Limited
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard | £166.49 @ CCL Computers
Memory | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | £74.97 @ Laptops Direct
Storage | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £97.15 @ CCL Computers
Video Card | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card | £509.99 @ Technextday
Case | Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case | £91.16 @ SmartTeck.co.uk
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | £162.40 @ Alza
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £1417.04
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-14 19:40 BST+0100 |

I have a few questions if anyone could help me out please?
1. I have read that the next gen of AMD processors won't be compatible with some of the older motherboards. I think this motherboard will be compatible but some confirmation would be great please.

2. Is there anything about the build that you would recommend changing? I don't have a fixed budget to work to but wouldn't want to spend a massive amount more either so maybe a 'soft budget' of ~£1500. If it's slightly over but a worthwhile upgrade that's fine.

3. Does the Hyper 212 fit the MOBO? PC part picker has a warning that an adaptor may be needed?

Thanks,
Scott

Solution
1)X570 and B550 - scheduled for later next month - are the only chipsets that will support Ryzen 4000. The others got locked out.
2)Yes.
-Give the stock cooler a chance. If it's not to your liking, then replace it with something like the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo or Noctua NH-D15S.
-You should be able to stretch the memory to 3600mhz CL16/17.
-Samsung does not come cheap. Alternatives: Intel 665p, Crucial MX500, WD Blue, and WD Blue SN550.
-Power supply is a tad overkill. Alternatives(550-650w)
Corsair RM, RMX
Seasonic Focus Gold, Focus Plus Gold
EVGA Supernova G3
Superflower Leadex 3
be quiet! Dark Power Pro

-You'll need to add a couple of fans to maximize the airflow of the mesh front panel.

3)It should.
The 2nd part applies to...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)X570 and B550 - scheduled for later next month - are the only chipsets that will support Ryzen 4000. The others got locked out.
2)Yes.
-Give the stock cooler a chance. If it's not to your liking, then replace it with something like the Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo or Noctua NH-D15S.
-You should be able to stretch the memory to 3600mhz CL16/17.
-Samsung does not come cheap. Alternatives: Intel 665p, Crucial MX500, WD Blue, and WD Blue SN550.
-Power supply is a tad overkill. Alternatives(550-650w)
Corsair RM, RMX
Seasonic Focus Gold, Focus Plus Gold
EVGA Supernova G3
Superflower Leadex 3
be quiet! Dark Power Pro

-You'll need to add a couple of fans to maximize the airflow of the mesh front panel.

3)It should.
The 2nd part applies to older packing of the cooler which won't have the AM4 kit included. But it's been around long enough that it shouldn't be an issue. If it is missing, contact Cooler Master.

Solution
I made a couple changes to give a little more bang for your buck.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£283.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard (£188.40 @ Alza)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£141.97 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£266.99 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB THICC III Ultra Video Card (£383.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£91.16 @ SmartTeck.co.uk)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£95.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1450.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-14 20:35 BST+0100

I removed the CPU cooler since the Wraith Prism is good enough. If you find it too loud, only then would I get one like what @Phaaze88 said. Going down to the 80+ Gold PSU @ 650W will provide plenty of power and still highly efficient and saves some money. Going with the 5700XT vs 2070 Super will give 92-95% the performance at 66% the cost. The savings on the HSF, PSU, and GPU allows for a 2TB SSD & 32GB RAM.

pepper46

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Thanks for the replies guys,
I will remove the cooler and swap out the power supply.
As for RAM would the following be better than 32gb of what I previously picked? I'm not very familiar with timings and such

Memory | G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | £143.38 @ Newegg UK

I picked the Samsung SSD because it seemed to perform quite a bit better than other brands from what I had seen. Are the performance differences noticeable in normal use or just benchmarking?

@jeremyj_83 does that motherboard upgrade just add WIFI capability does it have other benefits? Where my PC is located it will be hard wired

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure why you would need 32GBs for a gaming PC at the moment, so I'll leave that one to jeremyj_83.
You'd have to purposely force it as far as I know. I think 2x 8GB 3600 is good for now.

I picked the Samsung SSD because it seemed to perform quite a bit better than other brands from what I had seen. Are the performance differences noticeable in normal use or just benchmarking?
Benchmarking, professional apps, and X-ferring large files/data from one SSD to another.
For a gaming PC, the more 'affordable' ones are good enough.

Thanks for the replies guys,
I will remove the cooler and swap out the power supply.
As for RAM would the following be better than 32gb of what I previously picked? I'm not very familiar with timings and such

Memory | G.Skill Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | £143.38 @ Newegg UK

@jeremyj_83 does that motherboard upgrade just add WIFI capability does it have other benefits? Where my PC is located it will be hard wired
While the Samsung benchmarks a little better, the added cost isn't worth it. The main difference in motherboards is the WiFi and maybe VRMs but that I'm not sure. The Gaming Plus is a good budget motherboard.
I'm not sure why you would need 32GBs for a gaming PC at the moment
Main reason is future proofing and getting 4 ranks of RAM instead of 2. There are also some games that are already having 12GB RAM for recommended settings. Won't be much longer until 16+ is recommended. For myself I put 16GB into my desktop in 2013 when 8GB norm for a gaming desktop. Didn't take that long until 16GB was the recommended for gaming desktops.

Reactions: pepper46

pepper46

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Ok so I've made some changes based on your recommendations and have come up with:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | £255.84 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard | £166.49 @ CCL Computers
Memory | Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | £92.99 @ Amazon UK
Storage | Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | £114.92 @ Amazon UK
Video Card | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card | £509.99 @ Technextday
Case | Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case | £91.16 @ SmartTeck.co.uk
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | £95.47 @ Scan.co.uk
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | £1326.86
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-15 07:34 BST+0100 |

I changed from the G Skill RAM I previously mentioned as it wasn't available in the UK at the moment. The Crucial one seemed to have similar specs. And I think I'll stick with 16gb for now and add some more in the future if required.

I swapped the SSD for a WD one and the power supply as mentioned before.

As for the video card I'm not a fan of AMD video cards from past experiences but they are probably better now but it does always leave me leaning heavily towards Nvidia when choosing a new one even though I know it means paying more and probably doesn't make much sense anymore.

Thanks for all the help and saving me some money! Is this looking good to go for the purchase now? Just wanted to check before pulling the trigger.

And if you have any recommendations for quiet case fans it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott