Question Gaming Rig advise

Sanic

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hey you all,

I build my last gaming PC with the advise of Tom's amazing community and I was wondering if it was time to retire the old rig. I use it for everything but mainly competitive online gaming and rich graphical games like Ark and heavily modded Skyrim.

What do you think of the two rigs and what would you change? (I'm keeping gaming mouse, keyboard, 3x 27in 1ms monitors, headset, and speakers)

Old Rig:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZKbPZL

New rig:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XkL3hy

Thank you!

Retain your HDD as well. Windows can be activated later on. Doesnt make a difference...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $474.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler | be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler | $88.09 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $279.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory | $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage | ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $74.99 @ Amazon
Video Card | MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB VENTUS OC Video Card | $679.99 @ Newegg
Case | Cooler Master - MasterBox Pro 5 ATX Mid Tower Case | $79.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply | Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | $89.99 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1912.92
| Mail-in rebates | -$70.00
| Total | $1842.92
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-23 18:14 EDT-0400 |

Reactions: Sanic

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
How is your cpu usage right now in games?Is the cpu overclocked?
If the R9 390 doesn't get bottlenecked or the cpu isn't fully used could you just start upgrading the gpu and see what difference it makes.

Or do you just want to upgrade to have the latest? Maybe sell what you have as a system? That psu you currently use is stil fine for instance so could be reused, Kinda why i ask these things.
When gaming do you use all three screens? Goes to resolution you play on (?).

The 9900K is quite fast, but, I'd be leery to fork out $500 for one when the almost -released 3700X or 3800X is less expensive and might equal or outperform it in many tasks....for $100-$150 less...

(If you can wait 14-15 days for these results...I would wait!)

For a gaming PC, you are typically better off putting more of your budget toward the graphics card than to the CPU, since that will generally be limiting performance in games more than anything. Spending close to $500 on a CPU and $300 on a motherboard, but only a little over $200 on a GPU doesn't seem balanced at all.

To start, I would forget about an i9-9900K for anyone not going with a very high-end graphics card. In today's games, you won't see any notable difference in performance between one of those and an i7-9700K or 8700K. And even a lot of mid-range CPUs in the sub-$200 range will offer rather similar frame rates. Current games simply are not yet designed to fully utilize that many threads.

And even if you want 8-cores with 16-threads, the Ryzen 3000 series should be out in a couple weeks, and will likely offer notably improved performance over existing Ryzen processors. While gaming performance probably won't exceed that of a 9900K, it will likely be very close, at lower prices, while requiring less power and running cooler.

The money saved can be put toward higher-end graphics hardware, like a 2070 or 2080, or perhaps one of the upcoming AMD Navi cards that are also launching in a couple weeks, depending on how they turn out.

You might also want to consider a 1TB SSD for a system in this price range, so that you can keep a good selection of modern games installed without running low on space.