[SOLVED] Gaming/streaming pc upgrade - £680 budget

tom246

Prominent
Feb 4, 2019
Hi,

My current pc is a couple of years old now and I'm noticing a few performance issues regarding bottlenecking etc. I am thinking of upgrading the entire pc except for GPU which was recently upgraded, I want to use it mostly for gaming with some video editing and streaming. My initial thoughts for my budget right now is i5 9600k, 8Gb 2933mhz ram (then upgrading to 16GB in near future) , msi z390 gaming plus, crucial nvme 500Gb m.2 and a 240mm aio from coolermaster. I was wondering if I could get better performance for my budget or whether ryzen would be a better choice over intel?

Thanks

Solution
Don't get 8GB and assume you can add 8GB later. Mix and match RAM is a gamble. Buy the 16GB now. Save money on your cooling or a cheaper SATA SSD like an MX500 and get all the RAM now.

kanewolf

Titan
It is easier and more reliable to add an M.2 later. 90% of the performance, in normal use, of an M.2 is available with a SATA drive. NVMe benchmarks really well and it will speed things up a little. But if you are budget constrained it is an easy place to substitute.