Question Gaming system for RV

Storx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Hello All,

I am looking for some advice from the community. I recently borrowed a family members RV while I try out travel nursing for the first time to see if doing the RV lifestyle is for me since it was way cheaper than renting a hotel or short term apartment for 13 weeks. In preparation for moving into the RV for 13 weeks, I purchased a new laptop to game on since I'm big into computer gaming in my free time. The laptop I ordered was the Razer Blade 15 from Amazon, after having it for 3 days I really felt that it was struggling to play games properly. Don't get me wrong it could play most of the games I wanted to play, but after a few minutes I felt like I was touching a heat sink, the keyboard just became too uncomfortable to use for gaming long term and it was rather annoying how loud it would get along with how much it thermal throttled, even doing light load stuff like watching a youtube video. So i returned it back to Amazon.

Right now I have been using the Samsung Dex Pad with my Samsung S9+ plugged into the TV in the RV, surprisingly I've been very impressed with this for normal use, like reading emails, watching youtube videos and playing android based games, one of my favorite things I've been using it for is Netflix, since Tmobile doesn't count Netflix towards your 4g/LTE throttling limit, I've been using it through the dex pad and watching Netflix using the phones mobile data without any issues.

My question to all of yall, what is a better solution for gaming in the RV, been thinking of maybe a mini-itx build... or in search of maybe a better laptop option. I have even thought about doing a small water-cooled build and maybe mount the PC in the empty Generator closure. It has vents in the doors to allow ventilation for a generator installed in that bay.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that is the failing of most compact systems. If you sacrifice a bit of portability there are certainly large gaming laptops (or desktop replacements) that have superior cooling. So start looking at 17" laptops that aren't thin.

A mini-ITX system is certainly an option. Not really much to say there as long as the inverter in your RV is good enough to run a computer power supply and has the wattage (VA) for the build you intend when you aren't plugged into the mains.

If you have a 1080Ti, maybe just track down an ITX case that it fits in (or water cool it to make it smaller) Heck, you could even just find a Mini-ITX board for your i5 and just use that.

There are also NUCs and SFX PCs out there. Basically a laptop in the form of a tiny box. Personally, I think they are too expensive considering what you can get in a laptop for their price.