[SOLVED] Gaming/video editing PC for fortnite/youtube.

Dec 23, 2018
Hi, i havent upgraded my pc in about 5 years but i want to start a youtube channel and start editing my own fortnite content.

I always play on the lowest settings even if i have the best computer as thats just what I have always done playing years of csgo (the more consitent fps the better). I would also be playing a custom res of say 1440x1080. Max i would probaly go is 1600x1080 if it really makes the video quality better.

I want to spend roughly around 2k british pounds. However if it would benefit me greatly to wait and save to spend 2300 or 2400 i would do it.

I do not need a monitor or keyboard/mouse.

I havent got experience overclocking but i would probally look to get an overclockable cpu as this is something i would like to do.

I do also like asus motherboard gpu's and motherboard as i have never had any problems but open to other options to.

I currently have an antec 1200 case that is pretty large. I can re use it but wouldnt mind buying a new case, i also have a h75 corsair watercooler for cpu but it didnt fit in the case some how so its still unused. I dont know how that pairs up against noctua nh-u14s which ive heard good things about and had my eye on for a new build.

I do play csgo also and know that 7700k is a good cpu for that game as the game doesnt make use of multiple cores. I dont know if this is the same with fornite to. But im guessing video editing would make use of say an 8700k.

Thats about all i have to say. I tried to give as much information as possible. Apologies if there was to much.

Thank you

Solution
I totally get it. I have a ryzen 3 2200g and an RX 570, and the ryzen 3 bottlenecks bad- especially during skirmishes. The brand of cpu doesn’t really make a difference, just look for something with a high boost clock and around 6-8 cores.

Let’s compare the ryzen 7 2700x and the i7 8700k

Ryzen
clock: 3.7 GHz
8 cores, 16 threads
$280 USD

Intel
3.7 GHz
6 cores 12 threads
$355 USD.

The ryzen offers more cores and threads for $70 less.
I don’t have access to British markets, however I would suggest a ryzen system as they’re cheaper and perform mostly better than intel, just make sure you have fast ram.

For video editing you’ll need 16 gigs of ram at least. What kind of monitor do you have/framerate you want to get?

Dec 23, 2018
I know ryzen is good value but on alot of videos ive watched they just dont out put as high fps as intel cpus on fortnite. I currently hace 144hz. But want to aim for over 240 fps consistently as i will upgrade to this at some point.

I dont know if you have any experience with end game in scrims but it actually vecimes pretty demnading and fps drops alot. I have from 80-140 in normal foghts across the map. But if im in engame of a scrim this drops to 40fps sometimes and feels like trash. Basically what im saying is i want tro try and over aiter for this exact scenario.
Thanks

I totally get it. I have a ryzen 3 2200g and an RX 570, and the ryzen 3 bottlenecks bad- especially during skirmishes. The brand of cpu doesn’t really make a difference, just look for something with a high boost clock and around 6-8 cores.

Let’s compare the ryzen 7 2700x and the i7 8700k

Ryzen
clock: 3.7 GHz
8 cores, 16 threads
$280 USD

Intel
3.7 GHz
6 cores 12 threads
$355 USD.

The ryzen offers more cores and threads for $70 less.

Solution
Dec 23, 2018

I checked some review between 2700x and 8700k for fortnite and although they are not far apart why does the intel still produce consistently 2-10 fps more even with less threads/cores?

iaminsensible

Proper
Jan 1, 2019

AMD and Intel use different cores. While AMD uses cores with shared components so every 2 cores share many of the parts making them more like 1.5 cores. Clock speed only means so much because every core type does so much work per clock cycle. Because at current Intel does more work per clock cycle. They can be faster with less clock speed.