[SOLVED] Gaming with Freesync

Nov 19, 2022
Hi
I have a problem with fps drops in a specific game. The game has fps drops in certain places (in my case 60-50 fps, otherwise I have a stable 60).
Unfortunately it's a bad optimization of the game engine and more people have that problem.
I recently heard about freesync monitors (I only have 60hz without Freesync). and after reading some info, I hope it would solve my problem. From what I understand it won't fix the fps issue but the screen should run much smoother without stuttering.
So I would like to ask (or who has experience with Freesync) if this technology really helps and eliminates visible frame drops in the game??
Thanks for advice.

Solution
Yeah it'll help for smoother playback as refresh matches to fps output so you actually see what gpu is doing rather than monitor trying to guess/ sync on it's own, that brings potential loss off frames shown (like missing pages in a flip draw book) or mash there of as fps fluctuates (screen tear).

Fps needs to be contained in freesync range for best results so if monitor with freesync has a lower refresh rate than what fps is capable of from computer then you'll have to cap fps so it doesn't leave that variable refresh range. Freesync alone doesn't cap fps so it'll be up to you to help it if fps does exceed.

More on it here and different freesync versions...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah it'll help for smoother playback as refresh matches to fps output so you actually see what gpu is doing rather than monitor trying to guess/ sync on it's own, that brings potential loss off frames shown (like missing pages in a flip draw book) or mash there of as fps fluctuates (screen tear).

Fps needs to be contained in freesync range for best results so if monitor with freesync has a lower refresh rate than what fps is capable of from computer then you'll have to cap fps so it doesn't leave that variable refresh range. Freesync alone doesn't cap fps so it'll be up to you to help it if fps does exceed.

More on it here and different freesync versions.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-freesync-monitor-glossary-definition-explained,6009.html

Reactions: Dorni
Solution
Nov 19, 2022

More on it here and different freesync versions.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-freesync-monitor-glossary-definition-explained,6009.html
thank you for answer
I wanted to ask if I will have, for example, a 75 hz monitor with freesync
and that monitor will have a certain range (if I read it correctly somewhere, Freesync has 48 to 75 Hz), so if I kept 60 fps in the game, would it be ideal?

Nov 19, 2022
Then you would cap fps to 75, don't need to cap 60.
great, thanks.
Now all I have to do is choose a monitor with freesync.
So if I play mostly at 60 fps, is it not necessary to buy a (120hz or higher) Freesync monitor? And if I had a 120hz monitor, it would have a range of 60-50 fps if they dropped ? (if I understood correctly) thanks for the reply

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well a screen is more or less long term investment and 120hz~144hz monitors don't need to cost much. So it would be worth having that ability if in case you do upgrade video card.

As long as fps is in freesync range, it won't matter if monitor is capable of 120hz or more, freesync will still work with your fps level, just means it can go higher. Freesync range works right up to maximum refresh of that monitor.

Reactions: Dorni
Nov 19, 2022
Well a screen is more or less long term investment and 120hz~144hz monitors don't need to cost much. So it would be worth having that ability if in case you do upgrade video card.

As long as fps is in freesync range, it won't matter if monitor is capable of 120hz or more, freesync will still work with your fps level, just means it can go higher. Freesync range works right up to maximum refresh of that monitor.
thank you again
One last question, if I had a 120hz monitor but I would set the game to 60fps, would the freesync range also apply to the 60fps or less? to make sure it will work. I have Radeon RX 5600 XT graphics, 60 fps would be enough for me, but I know more can be better.

Good time to get a monitor now. I recently got a 32 inch 1440p curved screen worth a 165hz refresh rate for 249. But there have been other deals out there as well. Just get the biggest screen you want with the best refresh rate that looks good to you and enjoy. Graphics cards have come down a bit this year so if you decide to upgrade there then you should be set for the future also.