Gaming

G

Is there an upgrade available that would allow me to install an AGP graphics card into a computer without an AGP slot, without having to change the motherboard.

I've noticed in the marketplace 2 out of 3 brand new computers available don't supply you with an AGP slot, yet nearly all high end graphics cards are only available in the AGP interface and not PCI.

Is there something I'm missing?

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
I've noticed in the marketplace 2 out of 3 brand new computers available don't supply you with an AGP slot, yet nearly all high end graphics cards are only available in the AGP interface and not PCI.
Do you mind if I ask where you are shopping? I find it hard to believe that only 1/3 of the new computers being sold has an AGP slot.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
For bargian basement computers (Ones at Best Buy, CompUSA, ect), they have an integrated AGP card an no AGP slot to save time and space. That's probably where he's looking.

Anything higher than that, and they are pretty much garunteed to have an AGP slot.

I want to be your Opteron... Why don't you call my name - Peter Gabriel?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah it's so annoying. I go into the store and I see a P4 1.8GHz with 512DDR, 80GD HD, and a DVD-ROM and 32x10x40 CD-RW and so on, and I'm like sweet! Then I keep reading and WOW!! a TNT2 M64. Isn't that just killing the performance?

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Wow, it had DDR? Of course, you also should remember that you don't know if it's a woody or a NW (Unless it advertized 512K cache). Lots of OEMs are slashing Woody prices to get rid of them. Even if it's a NW, it's not an OCable system in general, so it's still a bit overpriced compaired to an Athlon, or even a home built 1.8 NW system.

I want to be your Opteron... Why don't you call my name - Peter Gabriel?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
No I'm not saying anything about pricing, just that it was a pretty nice computer, but they just had to put on a TNT2 M64 to totally screw you and make you buy a video card also.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

Harisahmed

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2002
Gotta love marketing...They get to rid themselves of the junk that's sitting on shelves collecting dust. Then they can get more money by forcing people to upgrade as soon as they realize that their brand new computer can't play the new games coming out.

G

Bront is right...I went cheap. OfficeMax, Sams Club, Wallmart and so on....

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Go here and check out their full systems for sale:

<A HREF="http://www.jncs.com" target="_new">http://www.jncs.com</A>

I've bought several things from them and they're a great company with good prices and good build quality pc's.

nVidiot: Message board Troll employed by nVidia to terrorize aTidiots.